MV Artania (nee Royal Princess) in San Pedro today...

RickEk

I was perusing the LA Waterfront webcam this morning and noticed that MV Artania is docked in San Pedro today. (Not a great day to visit LA as a large storm is passing through today.) 

For the uninformed, Artania was the original Royal Princess that was built in 1984 and christened by Princess Diana. Royal Princess was the first new-build commissioned by Princess. She was innovative at the time by featuring all outside cabins... no inside cabins. The image is courtesy of the LA Waterfront webcam.

image.png

• Like 1

Wow! Thanks so much, RickEk, for letting us know.  What a sight! I was fortunate enough to sail on her to Canada/New England,  Norway, and Scandinavia/Russia, when she was Royal Princess.  what a ship!  

I also saw saw her as the Artania in Barcelona and other Med ports.

Thanks again!

She is my first Princess ship:  San Juan to Acapulco for a Christmas Cruise in 1986.  2005, I think, I sailed for 34 days on her re-positioning cruise from Fort Lauderdale-Manaus-Civitevecchia.  That was a unique cruise in many ways and one of my favorites.  

Long may she sail!

Thank you for sharing! Was lucky enough to sail on her (as Royal Princess) down the Amazon from Manaus to Ft Lauderdale. I don’t think Princess does the itinerary anymore. Besides having all outside accommodations, I believe she was also known for having a bathtub in every cabin! 

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

She is my first Princess ship:  San Juan to Acapulco for a Christmas Cruise in 1986.  2005, I think, I sailed for 34 days on her re-positioning cruise from Fort Lauderdale-Manaus-Civitevecchia.  That was a unique cruise in many ways and one of my favorites.  

Long may she sail!

The ROYAL was also our very first Princess ship on an Alaskan cruise.  It was also the only time that the upgrade fairy visited us as we went from an OV to a balcony!  We are now Elite and about to take our first TA on the Regal in April.  Thanks for sharing the photo.