Need help with my cabin mate cancelling...

kath00

5 hours ago, kath00 said:

Thanks for the input everyone.  The cruise is 14d so I am thinking I might be bored stiff alone.  I am still talking it out with my friend (remind me never to put myself into this position again) so I didn't call HAL to get the exact penalties, options, etc.  Needless to say, it is not a medical emergency that she "cannot go."  So likely my Allianz insurance (and hers) would not help either of us. 

I will keep you posted.  For now, I am hoping we can resolve this when she realizes how much money we both potentially are going to lose with her cavalier attitude.  Sigh... 

I am so sorry you are going through this, I hope everything works out for you.  Please let us know what you decide.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2019 at 1:12 AM, OlsSalt said:

Good lesson for all of us - anyone should have an indemnification agreement up front, when booking with a casual friend co-roommate.  Thanks for checking in and hope something can still work out best for you.  Though is sounds like maybe not traveling with your "cavalier friend" might be the best outcome. Nothing like traveling together to really get to know someone.

Kath00,  The same thing happened to me but it was before final payment is due. A friend who was sharing my cabin decided six months after we booked that she just doesn’t want to go. My other friend had also booked a cabin, paying the single supplement (her preference, for medical reasons) and was very excited to be going on her very first cruise. Since I was the one who talked the newbie into trying cruising I felt obligated to continue on with our cruise. So I’ll be paying $2000 extra to go on this cruise that I am very much looking forward to. But shame on that so-called friend who decided not to go  for no emergency whatsoever.