Hop on Hop off bus Montego bay

cruisebarbie

I haven't been to Monetego Bay on a cruise in a few years but I thought I remember there being a Hop on Hop off bus listed in the Carnival Excursions.  We want to go to Doctor's Cave beach, Margartitaville and Hip Strip this trip instead of taking a full excursion.  Does Carnival still offer this transportation option?  I didn't see it on their website.

Thanks in Advance!

Vicki

When there in January, there was a line of buses at the port. They gave a choice of $7 one way or $20 for basically a hop-on/hop-off experience. They took us to a VERY touristy shop while they dropped another group at the beach (giving them a pickup time). We went to another more upscale shopping area, then we were dropped off on the hip strip while they went back for the beach goers. My wife and I went to Margaritaville for lunch. They said they would come by again at 2PM to pick up. They didn't. We called (they give you their card and most local shops will call them for you). Since they could not get back quickly due to traffic, they had another bus from their company pick us up and take us back to port.

So, it isn't really a hop on/hop off bus where there are many of them running a fixed loop. For $20, you get the one bus for the day (everyone gets a # sticker with that bus #). You can have some input where you go as long as it is local. If you have a fixed plan (i.e. I want to go to Doctor's Cave Beach or I want to spend the day on the Hip Strip), just take a bus or cab one way to your destination. Grab another for the same $7 to get back. If you are sure exactly where you want to go and want to try a few different places, the $20 is not a bad deal.

• 3 weeks later...

We did the "HOHO" in Montego Bay.  What a waste!  It's exactly as tja273 described.  Those who used it to get to Rose Hall early in the day found themselves stranded there later in the afternoon, as the bus was filled by the time it reached that stop.  Some folks said they saw 3 buses come & go with no availability.  They gave up and took a taxi.  Definitely would not recommend it.  

• Like 1