Two TA questions

Sue Goodreds

I always appreciate all of the great responses here to everyone's questions.  I know nothing about TA's so I figured I'd ask ...

1.  Is there an advantage to turning your reservation over to a TA after booking it online directly with Carnival?

2.  Is there a time-frame in which you're able to transfer your booking?  (I booked my cruise almost 6 months ago ... but not sailing for another 334 days.)

Looking forward to your answers ... and thank you in advance!

It depends.  Some TAs will throw in "freebies."  Maybe some OBC, a dinner at the steakhouse.  Unless they give you something of value to you, just leave it with Carnival.  Once it's turned over, you have to go through the TA to change anything or even to make a payment.

I think the time-frame is 30 days from your initial booking, but I could be wrong.

As mdsgu wrote, don't bother switching unless the offering is worthwhile. We usually stay with our Carnival booking, but when one TA offered 10% 0f your fare back as onboard credit, we switched. We found that most TAs can only take over from Carnival for 30 days, but some national ones (like the "big box" store) can do it up to 90 days after booking.

5 hours ago, mdsgu said:

Once it's turned over, you have to go through the TA to change anything or even to make a payment.

We have a fantastic TA.  I use one because it's comfortable for me to have somebody local that "has my back".  Last cruise she got us $50 OBC and a bottle of Champagne.

She has my credit card number and makes final payment when it's due and emails me the final receipt.  When we had to cancel a cruise a week before sailing because of a DH health issue I made one call to her and she took care of cancelling with Carnival, set up an open file with the insurance company as well as forwarding me all paperwork I needed for the claim.

Even if you use a TA you can still personally edit dining preference, bed configuration, book excursions, book specialty restaurants, pre purchase from the Fun Shops, choose your Check-in appointment and fill out the Online Check-in including which credit card you'll be using.  When there was a price drop I emailed  my TA and she took care of getting it.

Edited by summersigh