Copenhagen Shuttle Bus

RetroRod

We are booked for a HL cruise this summer on the Viking Sea. One of the ports is Copenhagen. According to what I could find on-line the ship will dock at either Oceankaj or Langeliniekaj. We would like to know if  anyone has done the HL cruise or  knows if Viking offers a shuttle bus to town? If so, does it stop near Nyhavn on the way to town? We booked a semi-private canal tour and are trying to easily get close to the departure dock. I've read on the CC boards other cruise lines have provided a shuttle service but couldn't find any info for Viking.  
  • Like 1

If Viking does not provide a shuttle, we plan to take city bus #26 from Kongens Nytorv square, close to where the Nyhavn canal tour starts and ends, to Langeliniekaj, where we should be docked. Check it out -

• Like 1

Viking does provide a shuttle but I am not certain where we docked.  Let me give everyone advice and don't be stupid like us.  We were dropped off by the shuttle bus and told that we could pick it up in the same area.  We shopped, enjoyed the area and was ready to be picked up.  The Viking representative was there and we carried on a conversation with her as we waited.  A bus pulled up and we jumped on.  As we pulled into the port we realized the bus was for the wrong cruise line.  We talked to the bus driver and he couldn't take us back.  He was scheduled to stay at the port as it was embarkation day for them.   We tried hailing a taxi but to no avail.  Went inside the terminal and a very nice staff  member was able to get us a taxi back to the Star.  Moral of the story is to always make sure that you are getting on the right bus even if there is a Viking staff member standing right there.  We still laugh to this day. 

• Like 2

Yes, Viking does provide a shuttle bus in Copenhagen.  Last summer we were on the Viking Sea docked at Langeliniekaj and the shuttle bus stop was next to the Royal Danish Theater at Kongens Nytorv.  As mentioned above, the other option is city bus #26.  Enjoy your time in Copenhagen!

• Like 1

The #26 bus goes to both ports but there is distinction.  Now I don't have this information in front of me but this is what I looked for and how I knew I was getting on the right bus.  That bus will have a name, which I don't remember right now but Rick Steves knows and explains and after that name will be another word.  If it starts with A then you are on the right bus.  When you get to the turn around at the end of the line you will easily see the ship.  Since Viking has so many options in Copenhagen during the cruise, you will see Viking buses everywhere but not all are shuttle so make sure you always know where the shuttle location is.  Info is available from Explorer's desk before you leave the ship.

We did the Homelands cruise 2 years ago and also took a canal boat cruise at Nyhaven (thank you, Rick Steves).  The shuttle stop that Viking used was only a 5-10 minute walk to Nyhaven.   The canal boat ride was one of our favorite activities on that cruise!  You'll love it!

• Like 1