Taxis in Freeport

SDJen

We have booked through resort for a day and will be headed to Viva Wyndham resort on our cruise stop in April. Just wondering if anyone could help with a couple questions.

1. If we grab a cab at cruise port are they actual taxis or more like once we fill a van we will go (like we experienced in St Thomas)

2. I am hoping we can set a return time with the same driver so we don't have try to find a taxi to come back. Will that work?

3. Is there any shopping close to where you get back on the ship? I have researched and it looks like the main shopping area is quite far from the port (not walkable)

Thanks everyone!

I haven't done a taxi yet, but can offer some info on the shopping.  Right in the port (walkable from the ship) are several smaller shops that mostly carry the same type of merchandise (t-shirts, dresses, souvenirs).  I think there is a Senor Frog and Fat Tuesday, possibly some other bars.  Pretty sure I saw a Harley Davidson sign, and there was likely a Cariloha/Del Sol.  I have read that there is much better shopping at Lucaya, which would require transportation.  

We've been to Freeport twice.  The first time we did a ship excursion that took most of our time in port and we weren't interested in shopping.  The second time we planned to shop, but it was so hot we just weren't in the mood for it.  We did look at a few stores and all the vendors were very pleasant, not pushy like we have experienced in Nassau.