Large Dining Groups

Happy3671

Hi. We are a party of 9 thinking of going on the Norweigan Bliss, Escape, Getaway or Breakaway. I know you can make reservations online for specialty dining up to party of 8.  

I was told from a friend who sailed on the Norweigan Escape that for a party of 9 we will have to eat very early or late due to our party size when making a reservation. They mentioned they were in the Haven and their concierge was able to make reservations and they have priority in dining reservations.

So, for example lets say I am booked in a Haven Suite and I want to make a reservation for La Cucina for a party of 9 on Monday at 5:30 pm thru my concirge. If somebody already made a reservation online for La Cucina for a party of 8 for the same time does their reservation get bumped. Im sure the restaurant only has capacity for a certain amount of people.

Has anybody been in this situation where they made reservation thru a concierge thru the haven or had a reservation get cancelled for a large party for no reason?

Thanks

I’m also interested in knowing about a dining reservation for a large group of eight adults. We are four couples traveling on the Pride of America May 4, 2019. We were only planning on dining at one speciality restaurant during that week. Not sure how to go about reserving a table for 8 in the MDR. 

Any suggestions for us Happy3671?

On 2/22/2019 at 11:41 AM, Happy3671 said:

So, for example lets say I am booked in a Haven Suite and I want to make a reservation for La Cucina for a party of 9 on Monday at 5:30 pm thru my concirge. If somebody already made a reservation online for La Cucina for a party of 8 for the same time does their reservation get bumped

Why in the world would you think you can bump someone else from their reservation because you are in the Haven?  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LD Silver said:

Why in the world would you think you can bump someone else from their reservation because you are in the Haven?  

We were just on the Dawn and tried to get large tables for our group the last night in the MDR, We were under the understanding they would reserve for us, but when we arrived all the had done was sit us close together at tables of 8. We were disappointed but survived just fine. 

On 2/22/2019 at 4:41 PM, Happy3671 said:

Hi. We are a party of 9 thinking of going on the Norweigan Bliss, Escape, Getaway or Breakaway. I know you can make reservations online for specialty dining up to party of 8.  

I was told from a friend who sailed on the Norweigan Escape that for a party of 9 we will have to eat very early or late due to our party size when making a reservation. They mentioned they were in the Haven and their concierge was able to make reservations and they have priority in dining reservations.

So, for example lets say I am booked in a Haven Suite and I want to make a reservation for La Cucina for a party of 9 on Monday at 5:30 pm thru my concirge. If somebody already made a reservation online for La Cucina for a party of 8 for the same time does their reservation get bumped. Im sure the restaurant only has capacity for a certain amount of people.

Has anybody been in this situation where they made reservation thru a concierge thru the haven or had a reservation get cancelled for a large party for no reason?

Thanks

Nobody gets bumped from dining reservations so they can fit in Haven guests. The concierge does manage to fit people in when others are refused reservations, but that is because there is actual capacity available (from what I can tell the restaurants are often not completely full even when officially sold out).

It is by no means certain that the concierge will be able to get you in exactly where and when you want. It will be easier for them to fit in a couple than a group your size, so don’t expect them to be able to work miracles.

I’ve not had much experience with making reservations for large groups before (I’ve done a couple of bookings onboard for meals with friends), and haven’t used the concierge for reservations at all, so others will be able to offer better advice than me from experience, but I would make whatever reservations I could before sailing, and then speak to the concierge ASAP after boarding regarding anything else you need. If he can get onto it before too many people have made onboard reservations then it will make his job a lot easier.

5 hours ago, delaware32 said:

We have always called prior to our trip and made reservations ahead of time . This was for both mdr and specialty restaurants . We had a party of 10 .

Glad it worked for you. I did head up a group from our church several years ago and they were were able to sit 10 of us at a table I believe. Other times we have tried and the most they would put together were parties of 8 in the same area. The 3 ships we have had large parties were: Star, Dawn and Spirit.