How many pairs of shoes do you bring?

OK - one pair black beaded sandals, one pair casual sandals, one pair walking shoes (that I wear to board as they are heaviest) and maybe a pair of water shoes if we are going to a beach. So not a shoe person. Heck, I did two weeks in Hawaii once with only a pair of those black velvet straw sandals they sell on the street!

I must be the only woman who cruises who doesn't have a thing for shoes...I usually make sure that I pack clothes that go with black dress and casual shoes, wear the heaviest pair (usually tennies or walking shoes) to travel and add sandals - depending on where we're cruising and flip-flops for pool/spa and I'm good to go.

You're not the only one....that's what I do also.

we pack a whole suitcase full of shoes, so not sure how many that comes to, but you definitely sound like you are good. I always rather have a pair I don;t wear then have a pair I left behind and really wished I would have brought them.

Shoes...what a touchy subject with my cruising buddies...;)

My first cruise I brought about 12, and I had to divide them into the others luggage..and they were not happy campers....:p

So every cruise, it becomes such a joke....with my shoes..but I have really cut back...I am serious...just don't tell my sister I said this.....

Now I bring about 8 to 10...so what it's only 2 less:o ......

A lady needs nice dress shoes, comfortable dress shoes then just plain comfortable shoes..

Ladies we should not feel guilty for the amount of shoes we bring...carry on.....LMAO :D ......

I'm amazed at the number of pairs people bring. :eek:

DH will travel in his running shoes, then bring his black dress shoes and a pair of flip flops - so 3 pairs, that's it for him.

I'll have running shoes, 1 pair of walking sandals, 1 pair of flip flops, 1 pair of formal shoes , and maybe 1 or 2 pairs of sandals to go with semi-formal/casual outfits (depends whether I can make do with just the black sandals).

How on earth can someone even wear 19 pairs of shoes in 7 days?

DH - walking shoes - wears those, 1 pair sandals, 1 formal dress shoe, 1 casual loafer shoe that is balck and brown that is 4 for him

Me - walking shoes (wear those), 1 pair formal dress shoes, 1 pair casual dress shoe, 1 pair walking sandal and 2 pair dressier sandals for casual nights. thats 6 for me.

Love this thread. I thought I was way overboard with my shoes. Whew glad to see I am right in the middle. :D

Now I bring about 8 to 10...so what it's only 2 less:o ......

A lady needs nice dress shoes, comfortable dress shoes then just plain comfortable shoes..

Ladies we should not feel guilty for the amount of shoes we bring...carry on.....LMAO :D ......

Don't flame me, but who are you trying to impress with your fashion? How many of us on these boards even notice what kind of shoes others are wearing??

I have my hubby down to four pairs: tennis shoes, water shoes, dress shoes and one nicer pair of shoes for the non-formal nights that goes with pretty much anything he might be wearing. As for my own shoes, I'm working on that but I'm only down to 10 pairs. ;)

Packing shoes is a problem for me as I wear size 12EE (and feel free to read into that what you will...:eek:) so they take up a lot of room. Last cruise I wore casual brown deck shoes/topsiders, and I brought water shoes, black formal shoes, and running shoes/sneakers, so that was 4. For the upcoming 4 night cruise, I want to pack lighter, so I might skip the sneakers (do I ever really get to the gym, anyway?). And my water shoes are starting to stink, perhaps I'll toss them and not bring them back w/ me. Or I could rent the formal shoes, $12 for convenience, and get it down to just the casual shoes and the water shoes.

Kinda surprising that I prefer to wear a tux when I am seeking to lighten the load and reduce the shoes, but thats my paradox.

When Sen. Bill Bradley played for the Knicks, he was asked how many pairs of shoes he owned. "Including sneakers?" he asked. "Sure" he was told. "Two" was the response.

I'm going on a 3 day weekend cruise and have only manged to narrow my shoes down to 5...and I know I'll wish I brought other ones. :D Actually there is one pair that I don't really need, that would bring the count to 6, but if there is room they will probably get tossed in too.

When Sen. Bill Bradley played for the Knicks, he was asked how many pairs of shoes he owned. "Including sneakers?" he asked. "Sure" he was told. "Two" was the response.

Bill Bradley and I came from the same neck of the woods. I played high school basketball against him. Got in a jump ball with him once. Talk about a mismatch.

Guess his answer gives my reason for shoes not being a priority for me.

How on earth can someone even wear 19 pairs of shoes in 7 days?

I couldn't. Remember...I said I ended up only wearing a few of them. Thats when I learned I didn't need to take so many shoes. So I don't take as many now.

And for clarification....most of the 19 pairs were flip-flops to match different outfits. Like someone else said, living in Southern California most of my shoes are flip flops.

I'm going on a 3 day weekend cruise and have only manged to narrow my shoes down to 5...and I know I'll wish I brought other ones. :D Actually there is one pair that I don't really need, that would bring the count to 6, but if there is room they will probably get tossed in too.

Actually...there's a good point. If there is room in the case, why not take take extra shoes if there is space for them? ;)

Sometimes you never know what you might feel like wearing. I do that with clothes. I know I don't need as many clothes as I take, but I don't like to have to wear something just because thats what I packed. I like to have options. So the more clothes I take, the more options I have.

Don't flame me, but who are you trying to impress with your fashion? How many of us on these boards even notice what kind of shoes others are wearing??

Hmm...I don't think its so much to impress others. (at least it isn't with me), but more about how one feels when wearing nice or fun shoes. I know I feel good when my shoes and clothes are coordinated.

Actually...there's a good point. If there is room in the case, why not take take extra shoes if there is space for them? ;)

Sometimes you never know what you might feel like wearing. I do that with clothes. I know I don't need as many clothes as I take, but I don't like to have to wear something just because thats what I packed. I like to have options. So the more clothes I take, the more options I have.

Exactly! I know what suit cases I'm planning on taking and I'll take whatever fits.... :D

I must be the only woman who cruises who doesn't have a thing for shoes...I usually make sure that I pack clothes that go with black dress and casual shoes, wear the heaviest pair (usually tennies or walking shoes) to travel and add sandals - depending on where we're cruising and flip-flops for pool/spa and I'm good to go. Never noticed anyone staring at my feet or commenting on my poor selection and it leaves me more room to pack the extra clothes that I need to account for weather possibilities. Sorry, ladies, but I just don't get it ;)

Oh my goodness, :eek: that is EXACTLY what I was going to say!! I too wear tennis shoes on and off board, have flip flops that take no room, and then two pairs of black heels - casual and dressy, and I like bringing black because they go with anything.

Oh and btw, I do have a huge shoe-thing, but I don't want to take up too much room in my bag! :)

I'm yet another woman who doesn't take many pairs of shoes regardless of whether I'm on a cruise or vacationing in other ways. For my one and only traditional ship cruise on NCL last fall I took sandals and walking shoes. We didn't do the formal nights since we didn't have to with Freestyle cruising. Next year when we go on the Brilliance for a transatlantic cruise I'll add a dress shoe for formal nights.

I'm not sure but think DH took two pairs--one kind of a beige and the other black. He refuses to wear sandals.

Now, a lot of this has to do with the weight of the shoes as well as the space they use in luggage. I'd rather use that space for something else.

sandles, water shoes, and a nice pair of loafers for dinner. Going on the 5 day enchantment 1/30/06, and we plan to skip formal night. This will lighten the load 1 tux, and one pair of shoes.

Usually I would bring more (at least a pair of sneakers), but for this trip we are really trying to travel as light as possible...

I'm sure as a start to pack this weekend, somehow all of this planning will go out the window, and BAM, I'll have to many clothes, to many shoes.....yikes....

Now my wife, another story, we could use a seperate suitcase for her shoes alone!!!!!!

BK

Let me see. Started out as a thread on how many shoes a man should take on a cruise.

Quickly became how many shoes a woman should take.

Kind of sounds like home. Man has three pair of shoes in closet. Woman buys new pair of shoes. Man now has room for two pair of shoes in closet.

LOL...I got lost in the direction the thread was going and didn't realize it started out asking how many shoes a MAN should bring. Ok so...regarding what my husband takes:

1 pair sneakers

1 pair black casual

1 pair black dressy

1 pair sandals

1 pair flip flops

sometimes he will take 1 pair casual brown, but only if we have space in the suitcase...LOL But thats not his choice. He could care less about taking brown shoes. Its me that makes him take them....LOL

Okay, all you ladies who must have shoes to go with every outfit, I will give you a tip: tan or beige (skin tone) shoes!

My shoe packing list:

- tan huaraches

- tan nine west 4" wedges (for dressing up at night on the ship...they look great with both skirts and pants)

- dress black slides (for formal night)

- brown 'reef' brand flip flops for the pool (mine are brown, but black is good too)

If travelling from the north in winter, you will need to add a pair of tennis shoes (or heavier warmer shoes) to this list.

That's four pairs (five pairs max) of shoes.

Notice, all of these shoes will accomodate swollen feet, as they aren't closed in (except for the heavier shoe) :). My legs are disproportionately thick for my body, and I never liked how shoes looked when I tried to match them to my skirt. When I match them to my *skin* though, they look great and go with *everything*!

Happy packing (and shoe-shopping)!!

Tracy

If it is a domestic flight to catch the ship, I take as many as I want. for me, that amounts to:

Running shoes

Flip Flops

3-4 pairs heels for dinner

athletic slides

I have well over 100 pair of shoes, love them all!

WHen I cruise to the Med and have to carry my own bags, I limit myself to two pairs of dressy shoes and pack lightweight flip flops for the pool and nice walking sandals,

I must be the only woman who cruises who doesn't have a thing for shoes...I usually make sure that I pack clothes that go with black dress and casual shoes, wear the heaviest pair (usually tennies or walking shoes) to travel and add sandals - depending on where we're cruising and flip-flops for pool/spa and I'm good to go. Never noticed anyone staring at my feet or commenting on my poor selection and it leaves me more room to pack the extra clothes that I need to account for weather possibilities. Sorry, ladies, but I just don't get it ;)

I bring one pair of black slingback heels for nights, one pair of super comfortable sandals for daytime, and wear blue Keds on the plane. My dress clothes all coordinate with the black heels. I also pack light weight slippers to wear in the cabin.

Sandy

Archived