Lockers at Dunns River Falls

mom2eli

Is there a place to store a change of clothes at Dunns River Falls??? We plan on taking a taxi from the pier, so I am wondering where we would store things we did not want to get wet? Also are their always taxis available to go back to the pier?

If by locker you mean scary wooden boxes most of them split in half or missing locks and handles, then yes, there are lockers.

This was on of the few disappointments on my vacation. The cruise director told us to bring whatever to the falls b/c there would be lockers. When we arrived, the lockers were so old and broken and dirty we could not place our things in there.

So our options were to leave our things (which contained a $500 digital camera, cash and our passports) in a bucket on the triamaran we took there (the triamaran was going to leave and go pick up other passengers :eek: ) or not just take pics of the falls and not climb them. We opted to hold our bags and just take the stairs on the falls.

If you want to climb, I suggest taking as little with you as possible: money/id in a water proof neck holder and a water proof camera. Those are the only items you are allowed on the falls with.

We have used the lockers at Dunns River twice with no problem (just got one with a lock that worked) and left only minimal stuff in there .. last Sept a friend put wallet in back pocket of swimsuit with a flap .. it still washed out in the falls and "luckily" was found with only cash missing (about $50) but not the credit cards... It is def. not a place to go with a lot of "Stuff".. we got fabulous pics with a waterproof disposable camera that we kept tucked around the wrist.. just left towels, minimal cash and dry t shirts in locker...

We used the lockers too and they are quite large. We fit backpacks in there and stuff. Kept my water wallet with me with the cash and cards, but other than rented the lock and didn't worry about it. No problems. So yes, there are lockers there you can rent.

You may want to consider using a private tour operator like Marva Shaw (Hello, I was in Jamaica on the Voyagers of the Seas August 2005, loved it. The Dunn's River Falls you can't get out without going through the shops, believe me I tried. After the Falls, I saw a few items I liked started to hand them a $10.00 and a $100.00 fell out first by accident. Well that started an uproar, they 3 guys there about went nuts, arguing with my husband about the money. all of a sudden the price skyrocketed after they say the $100.00. I left out of fear, thank god i had a dozen people with me I knew on the ship. My husband literally had to push one Jamaicans and threaten the other 2 to get out of there, the drug trafficing is unbelievable. I will never go back unless they think of a new system to leave the falls. I felt safer climbing the falls then I did leaving. My children will never go there either. Anyway, we used Orville Taylor as our tour guide. He was great, he quieted our fears of the Island after we told him what happened. He was a really nice guy. He made us feel safer. the lady tour guide he had with him was very informative, they both new alot about Jamaica and it's history. He took us whereever we wanted. Their van wasn't as new as some of the other tour buses, but looks aren't everything, it was worth saving a few bucks. He explained he had been in business many years, he is just trying to make a living like everybody else. We definitely recommend him and will definitley choose him the next time we are in Jamaica.

(knowjam@yahoo.com) She picked us up in her minivan and we left our things in her van when we climbed the falls. She also took us horseback riding and to a local beach and Margaritaville for a reasonable price for the whole day!

I am not trying to flame, just honestly curious, when was everyone last in Jamaica??

Because I was just there last week and I am being completely honest with you most of the lockers were broken: Some were missing doors, some had half a door, they were all dirty and there was no way to lock them. I am just wondering if maybe the area had been nicer and recently got destroyed?!

ValCat we were on the triumph with you. Our group used Marva Shaw with know jamaica. We left all of our personal belongings on the bus which was locked with our driver. However, we did take our digital camera's with us as well as waterproof ones. Even though it says the guides won't carry personal belongings one of our guides took everyones cameras, kept them dry and took pictures of each of us in the falls. I was glad I had my disposable water camera with me so I could take pictures when the guide was busy taking others pictures. The guide took the best pictures of my husband and I. Listen to them when they tell you to get lower in the water. They know what they are talking about. I never felt unsafe in Jamaica with Marva Shaw. She does not charge that much and is worth every penny. She does offer transportation just to the falls, but I reccommend taking an island tour as well. Check her web site out at knowjamaica.com. If you have any questions she is great with e-mail and even posts on the boards. The bottom line is if you want to feel safe in Jamaica hire a private tour guide for the day and you will have no problems.:p

ValCat we were on the triumph with you. Our group used Marva Shaw with know jamaica. We left all of our personal belongings on the bus which was locked with our driver. However, we did take our digital camera's with us as well as waterproof ones. Even though it says the guides won't carry personal belongings one of our guides took everyones cameras, kept them dry and took pictures of each of us in the falls. I was glad I had my disposable water camera with me so I could take pictures when the guide was busy taking others pictures. The guide took the best pictures of my husband and I. Listen to them when they tell you to get lower in the water. They know what they are talking about. I never felt unsafe in Jamaica with Marva Shaw. She does not charge that much and is worth every penny. She does offer transportation just to the falls, but I reccommend taking an island tour as well. Check her web site out at knowjamaica.com. If you have any questions she is great with e-mail and even posts on the boards. The bottom line is if you want to feel safe in Jamaica hire a private tour guide for the day and you will have no problems.:p

That sounds great!!

It definately sounds like something to give a try if I go back. The people on our boat were so shady. Your experience sounds much better :)

Archived