Onboard credit not used for Cuba "tourist card"?

mishfromva

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I searched the topic and couldn't find anything.

My son and I are taking a RCCL cruise on Majesty of the Seas in a few weeks to Cuba.  I booked all excursions through RCCL and I've filled out all required paper work including the two copies of the "Cuba Travel Certification".  It seems there is a $75 pp "tourist card" that needs to be purchased at the pier and the amount will be "charged to your Onboard account".

Recently, I redeemed additional points on my RCCL Visa card and now have $100 stateroom credit. I was told that my stateroom credit can not be redeemed for the "tourist card"/travel visa that's required.

I just got off a 2 week Princess sailing in which a visa was needed for Vietnam and the fee was charged to my room and shipboard credit was applied.  Not sure if I received accurate info from RCCL.  The reason I'm asking is that, if it's not redeemable I may purchase a drink package before sailing or dining option as I don't drink or plan to spend the money at the spa or bingo.

Why is this? Does anyone know the rules of this?  Thank you!

3 hours ago, mishfromva said:

I was told that my stateroom credit can not be redeemed for the "tourist card"/travel visa that's required.

That's probably wrong - the visa should be charged onto the regular cabin account and your OBC can be used to offset any charge on there.