Airport transfer from redhook

Lucy25

We are sailing to New York in April and are flying straight home - our flight is at 7 pm . We have transfers to airport included in our fare - does anyone know if you are taken straight to the airport (not too keen on spending the day there) or does the coach do a sightseeing tour.

There are three airports to choose from:  JFK, Newark and La Guardia.  We got a Cunard bus to Newark and were there by 9:15am.  I think they also offered a tour ending with airport drop-off but not enough people signed up so it was cancelled.  I imagine JFK would also be served.  We took the commuter train from Newark into Penn Station for the day.  Your only potential problem is that there is no left luggage at Newark except for United passengers.

• Thanks 1

There are bus services to all three airports, LGA (Canada and US Domestic only) EWR Newark domestic and international and JFK domestic and international. In the past I have taken Cunard Buses to all three. Cunard will try to time your bus with your flight, remembering that for international flights you need to be checked in 2.5 hours before flight time. If they are included in your fare you will tell Cunard your airport, airline, flight number and departure time. They will organize your departure from the ship accordingly. 

A day or so before your arrival they will present you with colored numbered luggage tags that will correspond with your assigned departure time. You need to exit the ship when the color and number are called. Collect your luggage in the luggage hall where it will be grouped by color and number and proceed to immigration and customs. After customs you will exit the hall and you will be directed to your bus. 

Depending on your accommodation waiting locations will be provided with drinks. You can usually exit on the second and third decks, so if you don't have an assigned waiting location camp out on one of those.  You will be asked to vacate your stateroom or suite by 8:30 a.m. 

Bon Voyage. 

Edited by Bigmike911
  • Thanks 1

Transfers to NYC airports:

.....not specific to this case but in general, I see folks more concerned, IMO than necessary about ship to airport transport in New York.

One of the easiest and most direct ways --- walk out, get in a cab --- always lots of them  waiting when you arrive (either yellow or green) tell 'em which airport, relax and pay the meter plus tip when you arrive.

About $40 to LaGuardia (half hour to full hour depends on traffic), $50 or so to JFK (just a bit longer than LaGuardia), and maybe $100 to Newark (I'm guessing about Newark 'cause I never go in or out of there).

If you have a late flight and want a quick look at Manhattan, take the cab in ($40 or so) site see, etc. and then about $40 to LaGuardia, $55 to JFK, and $80 to Newark. All prices are per taxi, NOT per person. 

All easy to do.......... Yes, NYC cabbies may have just learned to drive, and are many times lost, but 99.9% of the time they are just honest hard working folks trying to make a living. Don't worry, they all know how to get to the airports and Times Sq.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, old fool said:

All easy to do.......... Yes, NYC cabbies may have just learned to drive, and are many times lost, but 99.9% of the time they are just honest hard working folks trying to make a living. Don't worry, they all know how to get to the airports and Times Sq.  

The one and only time we took a cab from the pier to La Guardia we got taken for a ride. Our cabbie got off the main highway twice on purpose.

I was calling the number posted in the cab to file a complaint while being driven around. When we got to the airport I looked for a police officer because I didn’t want to pay the thief.

The formal complaint took several months to process and the cab driver was disciplined.

Needless to say, we only use a car service or limo now.

11 hours ago, old fool said:

Transfers to NYC airports:

.....not specific to this case but in general, I see folks more concerned, IMO than necessary about ship to airport transport in New York.

One of the easiest and most direct ways --- walk out, get in a cab --- always lots of them  waiting when you arrive (either yellow or green) tell 'em which airport, relax and pay the meter plus tip when you arrive.

About $40 to LaGuardia (half hour to full hour depends on traffic), $50 or so to JFK (just a bit longer than LaGuardia), and maybe $100 to Newark (I'm guessing about Newark 'cause I never go in or out of there).

If you have a late flight and want a quick look at Manhattan, take the cab in ($40 or so) site see, etc. and then about $40 to LaGuardia, $55 to JFK, and $80 to Newark. All prices are per taxi, NOT per person. 

This is great advice, and is what we would like to do - cab or car into Manhattan, spend a few hours there, then take a cab or car service to JFK in the afternoon (our flight is also in the evening - 6.30pm, I think). The problem  is that we will have our luggage with us, so in practice we seem to have the choice of either going straight to the airport and spending all day there, or taking the Cunard sightseeing bus and then being dropped off at JFK later. Neither is our preferred option, but we can't think of a better alternative - but maybe someone else can....?

On 3/4/2019 at 12:02 AM, Wordzz said:

This is great advice, and is what we would like to do - cab or car into Manhattan, spend a few hours there, then take a cab or car service to JFK in the afternoon (our flight is also in the evening - 6.30pm, I think). The problem  is that we will have our luggage with us, so in practice we seem to have the choice of either going straight to the airport and spending all day there, or taking the Cunard sightseeing bus and then being dropped off at JFK later. Neither is our preferred option, but we can't think of a better alternative - but maybe someone else can....?

There are places to check your luggage in Manhattan. (Google is your friend. Also, many hotels will check your bags with a nice tip to the bellman.) So you could check your bags for the day near Times Square or wherever you want to be for sightseeing and use two cars. One to Manhattan and one to the airport.

Here's the first hit I got when googling ($5.95 per bag) https://vertoe.com/luggage-storage/new-york-city?gclid=CjwKCAiA_P3jBRAqEiwAZyWWaBYeVVTpXm59zxF1PSQ42aOWBLFwyBUOTKw40SRtplvGJCxtMyKgWBoChy8QAvD_BwE

Edited by MarkBearSF

We were wondering if Cunard provides a transfer to LGA and if so does anyone know the transfer cost?  Our flight is not until 2:45 pm so we can also get a taxi, but sometimes a transfer is easier.  Thanks!

9 minutes ago, netpj said:

We were wondering if Cunard provides a transfer to LGA and if so does anyone know the transfer cost?  Our flight is not until 2:45 pm so we can also get a taxi, but sometimes a transfer is easier.  Thanks!

The Cunard coach transfer to LGA is $40 per person if booked in advance. The booking form I have from last summer lists the price as $49 per person if booked on board.

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

The Cunard coach transfer to LGA is $40 per person if booked in advance. The booking form I have from last summer lists the price as $49 per person if booked on board.

The last time I took a taxi to LGA it was $60 with tip and that was for two people. We had a mid afternoon flight and spending the time at the Delta Club seemed a better idea than waiting for the bus to fill and then going to LGA and having it snake around to the various terminals. 

The Hotel Edison on 47th between Broadway and 8th (just a 100 yards West of the TKTS booth in Times Sq.) keeps luggage for a $1 each piece. TECHNICALLY it's for people who are guests arriving or leaving the hotel, but they really don't care. Enter the hotel - on the left is the check in counter, on the right the bellman counter, just drop your bags there and get your claim check. No problems

On 3/7/2019 at 11:16 AM, bluemarble said:

The person who posted the question is from Toronto, so I can say that if you booked the voyage in  Canadian $ Cunard gives Canadians a break - not just on the fare. The transfer I recently took cost Can. $48 (booked in advance) which has gone up to $50 when I last looked because our dollar has dropped a bit. But, as with the fares, it is still better than paying in US $ with the bank's exchange rate. All on-board expenses are charged in US $, though.

43 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

The person who posted the question is from Toronto, so I can say that if you booked the voyage in  Canadian $ Cunard gives Canadians a break - not just on the fare. The transfer I recently took cost Can. $48 (booked in advance) which has gone up to $50 when I last looked because our dollar has dropped a bit. But, as with the fares, it is still better than paying in US $ with the bank's exchange rate. All on-board expenses are charged in US $, though.

The cost of the Cunard coach transfer to LGA in Canadian dollars is a bit of a moving target isn't it. I'm currently seeing it quoted at $52 Canadian when purchased in advance on the Cunard website for Canada. That's still a little ahead using today's exchange rate compared to $40 US.

Does Cunard also offer a coach transfer from the Brooklyn terminal to JFK? Can you reserve it onboard or must you reserve it in advance? Our cruise isn't until late August and so far there is nothing offered on the website. Do you know the cost of the transfer? Our flight is at 3 pm so I don't know if we would have time for a sightseeing tour with airport dropoff. 

9 minutes ago, 40yearcruiser said:

Does Cunard also offer a coach transfer from the Brooklyn terminal to JFK? Can you reserve it onboard or must you reserve it in advance? Our cruise isn't until late August and so far there is nothing offered on the website. Do you know the cost of the transfer? Our flight is at 3 pm so I don't know if we would have time for a sightseeing tour with airport dropoff. 

Yes, Cunard offers coach transfers from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to JFK, LGA, and EWR. The cost is the same for each of those airports: $40 per person if purchased in advance or $49 per person if purchased on board.

Unfortunately, the only way to purchase the transfers online is to do it at the time of booking the voyage. You would think Cunard would offer the option to purchase transfers later via the Voyage Personaliser, but they do not. If you want to purchase the transfer in advance, call your travel agent or Cunard, depending on how you booked the voyage.

14 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Unfortunately, the only way to purchase the transfers online is to do it at the time of booking the voyage. You would think Cunard would offer the option to purchase transfers later via the Voyage Personaliser, but they do not. If you want to purchase the transfer in advance, call your travel agent or Cunard, depending on how you booked the voyage.

That has worked for us. The transfers were added later by the travel agent and we got the best price.

I was surprised that our travel agent got a reminder from Cunard that we had not booked any transfers between Vancouver airport and the cruise terminal for our Alaska cruise. They were offered at the advance booking rate which is Canadian $50 pp. We have used Cunard transfers several times in Southampton and New York and have been happy with the price, but $50 seems excessive for Vancouver airport which is not too far from the terminal.