Port Canaveral Rental Car Return at Night

Freeholdnjjoe

Wanted to hear from people who returned their rental cars around Port Canaveral specifically at night. Would be dropping the car off at Hertz around 8PM. Are Ubers or taxis easy to get in that area at that time? Are they reluctant to pick you up for such a short trip by to the ship? Do not want to drop my keys in the drop box and be stranded and not get back to the ship!

Usually the car rental has a shuttle that will take you back for free. But you would need to ask when you get the car. We used Payless the last time we went and they had a shuttle back to the ship. Some of them have a certain time they will do this up to.  I would call  the place where you are getting the car and speak with them before your trip and ask. If they do not --they usually can recommend a  taxi service that will pick you up and return  you to your ship. 

1 hour ago, Freeholdnjjoe said:

Wanted to hear from people who returned their rental cars around Port Canaveral specifically at night. Would be dropping the car off at Hertz around 8PM. Are Ubers or taxis easy to get in that area at that time? Are they reluctant to pick you up for such a short trip by to the ship? Do not want to drop my keys in the drop box and be stranded and not get back to the ship!

Uber drivers know that time of night is busy when ships are in port.  In November when I returned my rental car, there was an Uber driver in the Enterprise parking lot waiting. 

We have returned autos at Port Canaveral a couple of times.  We returned them early (10 am) on the morning of the cruise and they shuttled us (and our luggage) directly to the ship.  There were many others doing the same thing.  If returning the night before is imperative many hotels in that area offer a free local shuttle either to or from the rental car area. 

We did a daily rental in Port Canaveral on a recent port visit so we could drive ourselves to Disney Springs.  We dropped off after the rental car office closed and then took an Uber back to the ship, it was after 7pm.  We waited maybe 5 minutes for our Uber and I held my keys until the driver pulled up then dropped them into the night box.  Pretty easy.

• Like 1