Nassau, Freeport, key west...

kona_wahine

We booked a Carnival cruise to these ports (and Half Moon Cay but that’s a nice beach day) and trying to figure out excursions for these 3 ports. I see a bicycle tour at Key west... But I really like beaches and snorkeling. Nassau we’ve been to once and did a snorkel tour and they took us to the most beautiful white sand, clear blue water beach I have ever been. It was probably prettier then HMC. Anywho.... I’ve been looking at ship excursions and the AI’s at these 3 ports sounds crowded and not so great. I guess i’m just asking for some input for nice beach day that is safe and not expensive. 

• Like 1

We enjoyed the Kayak excursion in Freeport that ended at Gold Rock Beach.  I suspect the water was too clear and sand too soft for much snorkeling, but I found the beach better than HMC since it felt more natural.  There were around 30 total on our excursion, but they split us into 3 groups around 10 each so it never felt crowded.

I don't have experience with Key West, but the little I looked at them it sounds like they have good snorkeling but not as much sandy beaches.

For Freeport, we did the carnival beach day. We enjoyed ourselves with no complaints. It seemed like there wasnt a whole lot to the island (like nassau). The port seemed more of a commercial shipping port. So an excursion would be ideal.

@Early_5, You (your daughter?) look like you are having a great time.  I always feel bad for the people who say there's nothing at Freeport since they obviously haven't seen the beaches ❤️ 

Freeport is a more industrial town.  They do a lot of dry docks/ship repairs, plus they are a large concrete/cement producer.  On our way to the Kayak excursion we passed a factory where they had cool sculptures of giant balls & jacks.  I actually like the industry in the port as the population is not so dependent on tourism (although that is a significant part of the economy too).  

I'm not sure, the only people we noticed seemed to be those on our excursion (but that might have been due to timing).  We loved how natural it was, but that could be a detraction for some: small picnic area but no bar, food service, restrooms, etc.  We used a port-a-pot part way through the excursion, so I'm not sure what they have for facilities.  Just something to keep in mind.

Maybe trip advisor or just googling the beach will give you more answers.