Flow Rider on board Amped up Navigator

mom2two2

We will be sailing on Navigator late December and I know my son (17 at time) would love to try out the Flow Rider.  Do you know whether or not I need to book a timeslot for him?  Is it first come, first served?  Lessons?  Cost?

Any help would be appreciated.  There was one at an indoor waterpark we went to but you were not allowed to stand on the boards, only ride on your stomach unless you had taken a lesson and the lessons were only offered a couple days a week so I want to make sure he is able to get the full experience this time.

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

Flowrider is first come, first served.   Lessons are available, inquire at the Flowrider.

Can the lessons be booked ahead through my cruise planner?  I don't see anything now but figured that was because we are still so far out from the trip.

Do you know whether stand up surfing is allowed/time restrictions?

First come first served.

Stand up allowed.

On all cruises we've been on it was time limited by :

A) when you fell over, next person in line moved onto the board and into the flow

B) if you were skilled enough to not fall over, people would generally take a few minutes then move back into line

3 minutes ago, mom2two2 said:

Can the lessons be booked ahead through my cruise planner?  I don't see anything now but figured that was because we are still so far out from the trip.

Do you know whether stand up surfing is allowed/time restrictions?

Typically lessons are booked when you get onboard. And stand up surfing is allowed during set time periods. You can check the cruise compass to find out when those sessions are. There will be sessions starting on boarding day and could be stand up only, boogie boarding only, or mixed. Again, you'll have to check the cruise compass to find those times.

Your son will be able to do stand up without having lessons and the sports staff will help him onto the board and the wave and give tips.

6 minutes ago, tahqa said:

Typically lessons are booked when you get onboard. And stand up surfing is allowed during set time periods. You can check the cruise compass to find out when those sessions are. There will be sessions starting on boarding day and could be stand up only, boogie boarding only, or mixed. Again, you'll have to check the cruise compass to find those times.

Your son will be able to do stand up without having lessons and the sports staff will help him onto the board and the wave and give tips.

We were on Navigator in December and it appeared as though they had one side for boogie boarding and one side for stand up. Not sure if all ships/time frames do this though......

10 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

We were on Navigator in December and it appeared as though they had one side for boogie boarding and one side for stand up. Not sure if all ships/time frames do this though......

According to a recent Cruise Compass from the Mariner they had a 'mixed' session on boarding day. I'm assuming that means divided flow with one side doing stand up and the other side boogie boarding. I don't know if all ships are doing mixed sessions, but it looks like the single wave ships are.

Personally I don't like to ride unless I have the full wave. :classic_biggrin:

3 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

Navigator has only one Flowrider (on which they alternate between stand up and boogie boarding), maybe you were thinking of an Oasis class ship which has two.

3 hours ago, tahqa said:

According to a recent Cruise Compass from the Mariner they had a 'mixed' session on boarding day. I'm assuming that means divided flow with one side doing stand up and the other side boogie boarding.

The RCI lawyers would not allow that to happen - when the Flowrider is divided, they only do boogie boarding on both sides. In rare instances when they allow both (like with Key sessions) that is without the divider.

Edited by Biker19

17 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Navigator has only one Flowrider (on which they alternate between stand up and boogie boarding), maybe you were thinking of an Oasis class ship which has two.

Hmm...... I'm pretty sure they had it divided, however you may be correct in saying it was only boogie boarding on both sides

• 2 months later...

Our BIL takes a lesson on every cruise.  This increases skills and gets him more time on the Flowrider.  Probably worth doing for someone who has never been on one.  People are now booking the Key because it has dedicated Flowrider times, but that is pretty expensive unless everyone in cabin is interested.  Every time I went back there on last two cruises on Navigator there were only about six people in line to ride.  Maybe 20 minutes between rides.  Some of those people could easily have stayed on but went out, did a few tricks and then got off.

14 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Not so much age but height 52” for boogie boarding and 58” for stand up. 

I think it's 12 years old and under must have a responsible adult in the Flowrider area and staff requires the child to point out the adult before entering the flow.

Thanks so much.  I have a 10 year old grandson who is dying to try this.  He is a Florida (small waves) surfer and loves to wake board.   He is around 56 inches now, our trip is in November....so he needs to grow a few inches to be able to stand!!