Books to help with my Polynesian flu

DavidTheWonderer

I read Michener's "Tales of the South Pacific" as a teenager, but it took me about 40 years before I actually got there on my 1st Paul Gauguin cruise in 2000.  It has now been almost a year and a half since my last PG cruise, and I've been feeling very sorry for myself. Worse, my Polynesian flu symptoms are flaring badly.  As a potential therapy I recently checked my local library for "Tales of the South Pacific" and instead found Michener's 1950 "Return to Paradise".  It gives a spectacular glimpse of the South Pacific from long ago. If you are a Polynesia junky, I highly recommend this book. As is inevitable for a book by an American written in 1950, there are some mild overtones of racism, but overall it is a story of Michener's love of the Polynesian people.

If young people still read, they would find your reading list of interest. Those even younger won't even know what your talking about when you refer to a local library. Thank you for your recommendations. We'll be on the Paul Gauguin for our 3rd time this September. I always enjoy the lectures on board, and bring along a book related to the area where we're cruising. Even though I have a tablet, I still feel more comfortable having a real book.

• 2 months later...

David have just heard of another book on Polynesia called Sea People - The Puzzle of Polynesia by Christina Thompson, it’s non-fiction but sounds very interesting. She’s also written another called Come  on shore and We will Kill and Eat you all! About the Maoris in NZ.  Also have you read Fatu Hiva - back to Nature by Thor Heyerdahl? I’m on the hunt for it now after visiting the Marquesas in April. 

Hope these might help with your  Polynesian fly which I’m suffering from now😩