Patouche - Extreme Machine - Worth It?

gquest

Hello Everyone,

I will be in Tortola on March 9, 2006 from 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM and I am trying to decide how to get to the Baths.

One option is to go with Speedy's package deal, which includes RT ferry transfer, taxi transfer, and lunch. Taking this option means I would catch the 9:00 AM ferry over and take the 12:30 ferry back. The total cost of this excursion is ~$38 (including admission to the Baths).

My second option would be to book a half-day sail with Patouche on their new Extreme Machine, which holds ~ 50 people. The half-day sail last from 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM and it includes lunch and all beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic). I was quoted a price of $75 for this excursion. Does that price seem really high considering it is a larger boat holding close to 50 passengers? I mean full-day sails in St. Thomas are going for $115 pp and they are almost twice as long and have fewer guest (more intimate setting). I have also read that Patouche, in the past, has offered 10% off when booking on-line, but they didn't mention anything like this in the email they sent me.

All things considered, do you guys think that the $75 half-day sail with Patouche is worth it? I have read great reviews in the past about them, but that was on a different boat with less people. Also, could someone please describe the lunch? Oh, and what is an acceptable tip for a trip such as this? Any thought or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!! :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering booking on the Extreme machine for the 1/2 day to VG on a Tuesday as well. But I have looked at both options and I think the two trips you are inquiring about are very different.

The first with Speedy's is economical and particularly good if you have kids with you or a tighter budget. Many people will be doing the same thing and one should choose this option over the ship's tour for sure.

However, I know that the Baths get very crowded and I don't particularly love travelling in huge groups (ferry, etc) so thought the Extreme Machine would be much better. I also fancied approaching the area from the water instead of the climb since my DH will be recovering from knee surgery. We would certainly be taking advantage of the beer and food as well as the snorkel equipment and I'm sure the service would be much more personal and informative than a public ferry. All-in-all, I think it is a good deal and certainly comparable to other 1/2 day sails but I have yet to find another that will do VG on the day we're in port at the right time.

Anyway, just my 2 cents! :D

Patouche has the best of reputations for day sails and I have never met anyone that would not do it again...since I charter I have never participated myself...but the tend to go where it will be most comfortable for the participants weather its the Baths, Norman Island and the Caves and Indians...both great snorkel spots....probably the best value if you not into sitting on a beach and drinking rum or Carib.

• 3 weeks later...
Have a great trip on with Patouche. I would love to hear all about it when you return.

Julie did set up safari bus transfers for my group @ $4 per way if this helps.

She did this for us too. I'm thinking of maybe walking back after the trip to do a little shopping along the way. Will report back on how the trip was when we return.

One option is to go with Speedy's package deal, which includes RT ferry transfer, taxi transfer, and lunch. Taking this option means I would catch the 9:00 AM ferry over and take the 12:30 ferry back. The total cost of this excursion is ~$38 (including admission to the Baths).

[/quote

does anyone have the website for Speedy's ?

[/quote

does anyone have the website for Speedy's ?

There is Speedy's and also Smith's offers ferry service.

http://www.speedysbvi.com/

http://www.smithsferry.com/

Archived