Mooring in Budapest

GrammaRama

We will be travelling to Budapest and have a night on board the AmaLea before starting our river cruise.  Can anyone tell me if you typically raft together while in Budapest or are you docked directly at the pier?  Also, is there a norm to which way the ship will be facing while docked.  Just about to book our cabin and wonder whether port or starboard would be better or is it up to the captain as which way you face?  If not rafted in Budapest then I would like to have the ability to look out over the town especially at night.   

Thanks for the reply.  i think I know which way upstream is but can someone confirm.  We are going from Budapest to Vilshofen and my guess is that is going downstream.  Is that correct?  Not certain which rivers in Europe flow into which body of water.  

Yes, boats dock with bow upstream. Note that while the majority of the boats dock on the Pest (Parliament) side of the Danube, some dock on the Buda (Castle Hill) side. IMO the best view is of the Parliament across the river IF you dock on the Buda side direct across from Parliament; this would be from a starboard cabin. IF you dock on the Pest side a port cabin will give a view of Castle Hill. The height of the embankment precludes a very good view of the shore that you dock next to. 

From Budapest to Vilshofen you will be going upstream. The Danube runs from Germany to the Black Sea. 

You won’t know if you have won the view lottery until you are on-board. 

• Like 2

Just assume that you ship will be rafted. The city is on  BOTH sides of the river so you have a 50/50 chance of a view. Also, the ships move around so a view may be blocked in one part of the day and not in another. In my experience AMA docks near the Elizabeth Bridge. I hope you enjoy being with AMA, I did.

• Like 1