Shuttles from ports at Edinburgh and Glasgow

CCKelly

I live in Glasgow and you need to know that Greenock is a good 45 minutes from Glasgow. Not sure where you're docking in Edinburgh. Rosyth is around 30'minutes from Edinburgh. Leith is much closer to the city. I can't tell you about shuttles, just about timings.

Thanks Patnlcc,  yes I understand that Greenock is a good distance from Glasgow.  That is why I was wondering (hoping) that Seabourn would be providing a shuttle.  If not,  I guess we will have to take the train in, but that is always time consuming:  get to the train station, then wait for a train, then maybe have to take one of the "local" trains with stops, etc.   After some research, it looks like we tender at Newhaven for Edinburgh, so we will have to tender say for 20 minutes or so, but then we are supposed to be only a 10 minute taxi ride away from Edinburgh so that would seem like the way to go there.

If you have never been to either city before, I'd suggest you do the hop on hop off bus tours. Both are excellent and will give you a good overview of the architecture, culture, history  etc of each city when you have limited time. The boarding points for both are very close to railway stations.

If no shuttles at Greenock, the local train stations are an easy 10 minutes walk from the ship, and there are four trains an hour 

to/from Glasgow Central station terminus. The journey takes 30 minutes for the fast train, and 37 minutes with a few more intermediate stops on the slower train. Return fare is approximately £7/$10, and is a safe journey.

Local taxis rank at the port and will do bespoke tours at an hourly rate of $60?? dollars,  which allows time to visit a considerable area of Scotland away from the port.  Taxis are available with 4/6/8 seats which can be quite cost effective for a group.

Thanks for the additional replies.  We will plan on taking the train then.  It looks like there are two train stations in Greenock,  does anyone remember the name of the station closest to the cruise terminal?

Thank you