Question About Parking Experiences - Brooklyn Cruise Terminal (Red Hook)

BklynBoy8

Hi All,

I have a question about the experiences that fellow Cruise Critics may have had related to using the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal Parking Lot in Red Hook Brooklyn while storing their vehicles during their cruise.

We have in the past had the opportunity to store our car locally near our home that may not be available this time. However, hoping to work something out. We normally use car service to reach the terminal on embarkation day.

Were you satisfied with the process? Is it self-parking?

Being near our home, we are familiar with the Pier, the location, and pricing each day. Was just wondering if there are any pro and cons to it.

As always, value our Cruise Critic’s opinions and experiences to know the real deal.

Thanks

We parked in the Cruise Terminal lot at Red Hook during a b2b Transatlantic.  It was very easy - self parking and plenty of space available. We drove up and dropped the check in luggage, then parked the car within a two minute walk of the terminal.  On our return two weeks later we handed the 'parking ticket' to the attendant, paid and were on our way within minutes.  This was a July/August sailing and we were a little concerned about whether we would find space, but looking over the lot from the deck we saw only 10 or 12 cars in total.  We would certainly use the parking facility again.

Enjoy your trip.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, amias said:

We parked in the Cruise Terminal lot at Red Hook during a b2b Transatlantic.  It was very easy - self parking and plenty of space available. We drove up and dropped the check in luggage, then parked the car within a two minute walk of the terminal.  On our return two weeks later we handed the 'parking ticket' to the attendant, paid and were on our way within minutes.  This was a July/August sailing and we were a little concerned about whether we would find space, but looking over the lot from the deck we saw only 10 or 12 cars in total.  We would certainly use the parking facility again.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi Amias,

That's what I thought.

We have sailed around that time and saw the same thing from on board, but being a newbie to trying it was looking for personal experience from others.

Many thanks for your input. 

In the past they've had trouble with the ticket machines when it came time to pay - one year I learned after disembarkation that I'd need to pay in cash rather than use a credit card (the attendant helpfully took whatever I could give since I was a little short).

At Christmas 2018 an attendant handed out tickets with the entry date written on them and on disembarkation 12 days later another attendant was at the pay booth with a card swiper on a cell phone. The gates and ticket dispensers have been removed from the lot entrance/exit so I guess that's going to be their modus operandi for the foreseeable future.

One thing to note is that although the daily rate at Red Hook is $10 cheaper than Manhattan ($25 vs $35), the Red Hook lot doesn't cap parking charges in a month. We're planning to be gone for 23 days in June so parking at Red Hook would run to $575. Parking at the Manhattan terminal would be capped at $400 for up to 30 days. So we'll leave our car with family outside of Philadelphia and take the NJT train from Trenton.

I've never seen the Red Hook lot more than half full.

Edited by Underwatr
  • Like 1

I parked at Red Hook in Aug/Sept 2018 for two weeks during a return trans-Atlantic voyage.
It was pricey at US$350 for 2 weeks but the daily rate US$25 was comparable to airport parking and way cheaper than the US$75/night range of hotel parking in Manhattan.
As mentioned by others the process was effortless. Drive up and drop your bags at the terminal if you wish or simply self-park first and walk the 100m-200m back to the terminal from your parking spot. The lot was used sparsely during my trip.
In the attached photo (taken as the mooring lines were being slipped), my car is circled. The attendant was stationed just off the left edge of the photo, maybe 20m past the red car.
Unfortunately on Google Maps right now the current satellite photo shows the parking lot obstructed by tents and a track that I believe was used for the Formula E auto race, so if you consult that app, you might be misled by the view.

Hope that gives you some reassurance.

Parking at Red Hook.jpg

2 hours ago, VintageCCG said:

I parked at Red Hook in Aug/Sept 2018 for two weeks during a return trans-Atlantic voyage.
It was pricey at US$350 for 2 weeks but the daily rate US$25 was comparable to airport parking and way cheaper than the US$75/night range of hotel parking in Manhattan.
As mentioned by others the process was effortless. Drive up and drop your bags at the terminal if you wish or simply self-park first and walk the 100m-200m back to the terminal from your parking spot. The lot was used sparsely during my trip.
In the attached photo (taken as the mooring lines were being slipped), my car is circled. The attendant was stationed just off the left edge of the photo, maybe 20m past the red car.
Unfortunately on Google Maps right now the current satellite photo shows the parking lot obstructed by tents and a track that I believe was used for the Formula E auto race, so if you consult that app, you might be misled by the view.

Hope that gives you some reassurance.

Parking at Red Hook.jpg

That first time the Racing started two year ago, it was held on the 4th of July weekend when we were away on the sailing. But we did not have to worry about the car since we went by car service that day.

This year the Racing us scheduled for the 13th of July according to there website. Unfortunately with all the stuff that they have to bring and setup for this event, I am not sure what space would be available compared to a normal open lot. I surely believe that a setup such as that will take some time. But they should not mislead passengers that know parking is normally available, may be limited at that time.

Still working alternate plans for storing the car so we can leisurely be taken to the pier and enjoy a great start of the vacation without driving.

Since we are close by, we'll monitor the location and post information to help others close to the time.

Edited by BklynBoy8