Vow Renewal - 25 Years

Hello!  We are trying to plan our 25 year vow renewal for August 2020.  We are thinking about taking the Carnival Horizon and inviting our family and friends.  I looked at the vow renewal that Carnival offers and the cost is outrageous, plus I don't need an officiant especially the Captain as I am already legally married and adding a toast for 8 plus a rose for almost $900 doesn't seem cost effective to me!!  My thought is to find a spot to gather in port and have my children at the end of the aisle, walk down the aisle with my husband to meet my adult children.  Once there we have some words, poems and an exchange of words then get back on the ship for dinner with whoever has chosen to take the trip with us (as a group).  Would Carnival accommodate that?  Would they allow us, I don't know if there will be 10 people or 40 people, to have dinner together for that one night?  Then go off to a club to dance the night away for a "reception".  Also, Can I hire a photographer to take some formal portraits of my husband and I and our children that I can then purchase?  If so, would anyone know the cost (for budgeting purposes)?

Thanks for your help!!!

~Karen

I would recommend Holland America's vow renewal package over Carnival's ridiculously high priced one. DH and I did our vow renewal on HAL a few years ago and it included:  ceremony by ship's Captain, live music, photographer, flowers, memory book with photographs and certificate, champagne and appetizers, in a charming venue on the ship. We also received a complimentary dinner for two in the ship's gourmet restaurant, the Pinnacle Grill. The Captain stayed to chat with us and it was a lovely event. Cost: $150 (has risen to $166). Friends of ours did theirs on HAL ship in the chapel on Half Moon Cay, the line's private island. You should contact Holland America so you can compare their vow renewal package with Carnival's. By the way, we love Holland America's elegant ships and service and just sailed on one last month. We do, however, sail more on Carnival because of price and close location of their ports to where we live in FL. I do not have information of doing what you suggest at a port during the cruise and other responders may have. Have a great time with whatever you choose.

You can arrange whatever you want in port but as far as a private (or a group dinner in one of the dinning rooms where as many as 40 people will be in same group) would take arrangements with the events team at least (cost?).  During dinner hour times on the ship it would probably be very difficult to accommodate a large group like that (altogether in your own area) and certainly would not be private.  You could all show up at same time (YTD) and would be at different tables just like regular dinner on a ship then go off and do your club thing.  You could also arrange for the dream/glamour picture package they have now to take the shots you want (events team).  

We went to a vow renewal ceremony on CCL about 2 years ago for brother and SIL (25 years), there were about 15 - 20 of us total, it was private which made it much more special, the little extras made it seem more wedding like and they had a certain amount of pix included in the price.  Having the captain there had nothing to do with being legal or not and just added to that "a little more special than just a group of people gathering" feel (they also had their own vows/words), they did a great job with making it feel and look like a private, special event.  The pictures were worth it, people still talk about that cruise and how they were so happy to be part of it.   

15 hours ago, Mama's looking good said:

Hello!  We are trying to plan our 25 year vow renewal for August 2020.  We are thinking about taking the Carnival Horizon and inviting our family and friends.  I looked at the vow renewal that Carnival offers and the cost is outrageous, plus I don't need an officiant especially the Captain as I am already legally married and adding a toast for 8 plus a rose for almost $900 doesn't seem cost effective to me!!  My thought is to find a spot to gather in port and have my children at the end of the aisle, walk down the aisle with my husband to meet my adult children.  Once there we have some words, poems and an exchange of words then get back on the ship for dinner with whoever has chosen to take the trip with us (as a group).  Would Carnival accommodate that?  Would they allow us, I don't know if there will be 10 people or 40 people, to have dinner together for that one night?  Then go off to a club to dance the night away for a "reception".  Also, Can I hire a photographer to take some formal portraits of my husband and I and our children that I can then purchase?  If so, would anyone know the cost (for budgeting purposes)?

Thanks for your help!!!

~Karen

We faced the same thing for our 25th in Hawaii.  It was the same deal.  $800 for a vow renewal on the beach just wasn't worth it to us.  We found better things to do with our money.  I like your idea.  Get a pretty dress and do it with your kids. Maybe plan a big dinner in one of the nicer restaurants.