Using onboard credit for gratuities?

I had onboard credit last year on Oasis and used it to pay gratuities.  I just made a reservation on Empress for this coming Oct. and was told I can't use the onboard credit towards gratuities.  Has the RCCL policy changed?  The rep didn't really seem to know what she was talking about.  Does anyone know if the credit can be used for this?

4 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

Should I wait to get onboard and then ask them to put gratuities on my seapass card?

Unless you prepay gratuities, they are automatically added to your SeaPass card now.  Nothing to do.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

I had onboard credit last year on Oasis and used it to pay gratuities.  I just made a reservation on Empress for this coming Oct. and was told I can't use the onboard credit towards gratuities.  Has the RCCL policy changed?  The rep didn't really seem to know what she was talking about.  Does anyone know if the credit can be used for this?

i just went through this as well. i called to have them paid with my obc. they said i could not apply obc towards gratuities. so i will have to wait until onboard. obc on your account will just be deducted as the gratuities will be applied. for some reason, they just wont let you do it before the cruise. i hope all of that makes sense. 

• Like 1

Not seeing onboard credit applied to gratuity's would be the only time I would ever consider removing them at guest services. I imagine a policy like that would be very unpopular and lengthen the line at guest services.

3 minutes ago, wsyrob said:

Not seeing onboard credit applied to gratuity's would be the only time I would ever consider removing them at guest services. I imagine a policy like that would be very unpopular and lengthen the line at guest services.

The rep was just not getting the point across that you can not use OBC to prepay gratuities, it can only be used to purchase things through your cruise planner.  The OP can just save the OBC to pay the gratuities once they are on the ship.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sun Lover said:

Now I just read that if you do My Time Dining, you have to prepay gratuities.  Does anyone know if this is true?

Used to be true, but changed several years ago and not required anymore.

• Like 1