Olden, little train.

We did the road train at Alesund and paid by card, I assume Olden would be the same.

These companies are so well set up for tourists, I can't see they wouldn't, especially with the Scandinavian countries trying hard to become cashless.

Have a fantastic time,

Andy

14 hours ago, happy v said:

Does anyone know if you can pay for the train with a card? Or will we need NOK.

A review wouldo be good if anyone has been on it.

I cannot be 100% certain, but think we paid by card.  Most things like hoho bus, etc take cards.  I seem to remember we went with cash, but as others paid by card we also did that.  As for a review, I would say its an excellent little trip.  It stops at least once by a fast-running water-over-rocks (sorry cant think of another description) and also stops back in Olden if you wish to get off there, and perhaps walk back to the stave church.  We will do it again in July as we enjoyed it. We do, by tthe way, take a small amount of NOKs.  Enjoy!

There is an interesting commentary on the train, tells you about the local area, traditions etc  and about a particularly cold funeral service at the stave church where th corpse was the warmest person there! As fastnloose says there is one stop for photos at a bridge over fast running water, depending on the time of year it is more or less impressive,

All in all its a pleasant little trip, not exciting but pleasant.

The church graveyard is worth a wander aound, the grave stones are just that, big boulders with an inscription. The hat stands in the church are antlers and there is a picture of the session from a byegone era on the wall, with no disrespect intended they look like gnomes.

There are a couple of tourist shops in the village and a nice little tea room, all expensive by UK standards.

Thank you everyone. I knew I could rely on you.

We just need something extra to do as I know the town is very small. We were going to go on the sky lift but the excursion we have booked in Bergen includes the cable car. I don't think we need to do both.

I presume we just join a queue when we are ready to go?

Edited by happy v

10 hours ago, happy v said:

Thank you everyone. I knew I could rely on you.

We just need something extra to do as I know the town is very small.

Yes, just join the queue for the little train right on the quayside when you are ready.

Have you considered getting a minibus from the quayside up to the Briksdal Glacier? Olden is a very well organised little place.. these mini buses take you up and down to the Glacier throughout the day and are organised from the Visitors Centre on the quayside.
http://www.oldencruise.no/glacier-shuttle

Edited by Scriv

9 hours ago, Scriv said:

Yes, just join the queue for the little train right on the quayside when you are ready.

Have you considered getting a minibus from the quayside up to the Briksdal Glacier? Olden is a very well organised little place.. these mini buses take you up and down to the Glacier throughout the day and are organised from the Visitors Centre on the quayside.
http://www.oldencruise.no/glacier-shuttle

Thanks, Scriv.

We have been to the glacier and loved it. We will have our granddaughter with us and have excursions booked in the other ports. So we were thinking a play in the pool while it was quiet and a little train ride and a walk around.

• Like 1