Timing to disembark

njcamarena

My apologies in advance, as .  I am sure this question has been asked before....but iam a first time cruiser!

We will be cruising with Oceania in August 2019.  We disembark at 8am on a Wednesday in Southampton UK.  Can someone tell me an timing estimate to actually disembark and get to a waiting private car?  Not sure if how much time I should allow for disembarkation. As we are trying to plan a tour in London for later that day.

Thanks very much!!!

13 hours ago, njcamarena said:

My apologies in advance, as .  I am sure this question has been asked before....but iam a first time cruiser!

We will be cruising with Oceania in August 2019.  We disembark at 8am on a Wednesday in Southampton UK.  Can someone tell me an timing estimate to actually disembark and get to a waiting private car?  Not sure if how much time I should allow for disembarkation. As we are trying to plan a tour in London for later that day.

Thanks very much!!!

Just for once, a cruise line that quotes a disembarkation time :classic_smile: rather than an arrival time (which is usually around 5am, but it's not possible to disembark for at least a couple of hours).

The system is usually pretty efficient.

Most ships permit unassisted disembarkation ahead of general disembarkation (keep your bags in your cabin overnite and schlepp them down to the terminal in the morning). In your case that might be 7.30am. It has the advantage of early disembarkation plus a guarantee of no lines for luggage pick-up or immigration, but the disadvantage of a few grunts and mebbe skinned knuckles.

If for you earliest is best, that's the way to do it. And you can book a car for 7.30, because you'll not be disembarking with the herd.

Most cruise lines arrange staggered disembarkation at Southampton. You'll be allocated a time (8am or 8.15 or 8.30 etc up to about 9.15), but you can normally get that switched to suit onward travel plans.

The later you disembark the longer the lines - but Oceania ships aren't huge and you'd be unlucky if you weren't at the terminal exit within 30 minutes of heading to the gangway.

Mebbe book a car for 8.30 - they usually arrive early and they appreciate you might be up to 20 minutes later than planned. Trading phone numbers in advance is a good idea.

Being mid-week you're not going to miss the commuter traffic.

Slow-going as far as Winchester, then usually a clear patch until you approach and join or cross the M25 London orbital road. After that it's anyone's guess. Total 2hrs to 3hrs at that time of day.

What time is your tour? And will you be dropping luggage at a hotel first?

JB :classic_smile: