Terrified of Flying, Any Tips

CruisesOnMyMind

Hi all,

Dear hubby and I are on the transatlantic cruise from Miami to Barcelona Spain in April 2006. I am scared of flying but will not stop me from going. Is there anyone else out there that has flown from Europe? I did get pills from my doctor. I do not want to ruin my cruise by thinking of my air trip back home.

I'm a nervous traveler too.

Traveling (especially flying) has become more difficult for me since my children were born 5 and 6 years ago. (So much more to think about if something were to happen to me now...) We got our wills taken care of soon after they were born and that gives me some peace of mind. I still have a period of pretty serious stress right before a trip, though - sleepless nights thinking about the "what ifs", devising, in my head, goodbye letters to leave "just in case", feeling guilty that my husband and I didn't schedule separate flights (so if something happened to one of us, it wouldn't leave our babes completely parent-less)... I'm a spaz!

Anyway - I'm not ashamed to admit it here - a small amount of xanax really helps my anxiety - before and during our trips. Is that what your physician has given you? It's been a tremendous help for me. We're leaving for 4 days in Orlando in about 3 weeks (kids will be with Grandma and Grandpa) and I went to get my Rx renewed just this week - LOL!

Have a wonderful trip - I hope you're able to enjoy it - it sounds amazing!

I'm a nervous traveler too.

Traveling (especially flying) has become more difficult for me since my children were born 5 and 6 years ago. (So much more to think about if something were to happen to me now...) We got our wills taken care of soon after they were born and that gives me some peace of mind. I still have a period of pretty serious stress right before a trip, though - sleepless nights thinking about the "what ifs", devising, in my head, goodbye letters to leave "just in case", feeling guilty that my husband and I didn't schedule separate flights (so if something happened to one of us, it wouldn't leave our babes completely parent-less)... I'm a spaz!

Anyway - I'm not ashamed to admit it here - a small amount of xanax really helps my anxiety - before and during our trips. Is that what your physician has given you? It's been a tremendous help for me. We're leaving for 4 days in Orlando in about 3 weeks (kids will be with Grandma and Grandpa) and I went to get my Rx renewed just this week - LOL!

Have a wonderful trip - I hope you're able to enjoy it - it sounds amazing![/quote

Xanax is what I have been subsribed. I am so scared. Please let me know how you make out in Orlando! I really want to do this trip without flipping out on everyone!

Wow....I really feel for you guys....flying is such a NEAT way to get around. Like a MAGIC CARPET RIDE from one place to another! :D You get on the plane and in just a few HOURS ~ NOT DAYS ~ you get from one place to another. Having driven across the country from coast to coast a number of times (not sight-seeing) I can honestly say that flying is the only way to go.

Have you tried examining your fears? If you really think about it, you'll realize that the chances of being injured or killed in an airline accident are far, far, far less than the danger you face each and every day driving around in your car. If you are truly prone to anxiety attacks, I agree that a prescription from your doctor may help out. Hypnotism may even be an idea worth examining. You might also have a look at this website that I just found while looking for statistics on flying vs. driving:

http://www.fearofflying.com/research.shtml

Good luck and have fun! :)

Concerning statistics on air vs. auto: in 2004, there were NO fatalities on commercial aviation flights by US carriers, and the one that occurred in 2005 was not an airline passenger but a person on the ground. Given the number of people and miles flown, this is quite remarkable. Conversely, over 40,000 people were killed in automobile related accidents in the US in 2004. Based on any rational consideration, one should be more concerned about the drive to the airport rather than the flight to be taken. To allay any fears, just keep in mind that your upcoming flight was made safely the day before, the day before, the day before, etc.

Your concern is not unique. See a prior thread on this topic at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=3953178#post3953178

Our friend's son had flown to Japan without any problems. Then he flew to Las Vegas on his honeymoon & got sick on the plane. Now he doesn't want to fly again which I don't blame him for feeling that way. We are all going on a cruise right after Thanksgiving. He doesn't want to fly to Miami & would like to drive from Michigan to Miami instead. That's a long drive plus the weather can be bad at that time of year. Wish I had some answers for him.

Gail

Wow....I really feel for you guys....flying is such a NEAT way to get around. Like a MAGIC CARPET RIDE from one place to another! :D You get on the plane and in just a few HOURS ~ NOT DAYS ~ you get from one place to another. Having driven across the country from coast to coast a number of times (not sight-seeing) I can honestly say that flying is the only way to go.

Oh I don't disagree with you! I actually enjoy flying - I like airports etc... I just can't help that it causes me to experience some anxiety! I don't see it as a real problem, personally - just as some people get nervous thinking about the dentist, I get nervous when preparing to fly. Now if it actually stopped me from taking vacations, then I'd say that it was probably something I'd need to have checked out or "examined".

You might also have a look at this website that I just found while looking for statistics on flying vs. driving:

http://www.fearofflying.com/research.shtml

I will take a look - thanks!

I am one of the most fearful fliers ever! I do it, but I hate it. I cry on take-offs and pray throughout the flight.

Last year, I had to fly cross country and knew I'd be panicky, so I had to do something besides be medicated or drunk.

I ordered a self-hypnosis tape from a company I've used before. The title had something to do with fear of flying and I figured it couldn't hurt to listen to it.

It worked! I played it every day for a couple of weeks before the trip, then I actually took it on the plane with me. The cool thing is....I didn't need it on the plane. I remembered all the calming things I'd heard over and over again, and I was able to really relax and enjoy the flights.

I'll be flying again in March and I'll probably need a "refresher" before going.

Anyway, I can sympathize completely. Try going to this website http://Tranceformation.com. Maybe the tape will help you, too!

I emphathise with you - when I was younger I was afraid, but I had fly for my job. But as I got older and my kids are grown and I have a lot of insurance, especially accident insurance, plus my spouse would sue the airlines - OMG she would be rich! But with my luck I would fall downstairs and get nothing!

Anyway try here http://www.fearofflyingtips.com/

Most people aren't so much afraid of flying but are riddled with anxiety because they do not have any control over the situation.

Think about this; the airlines tell you when to board, the FAA makes the rules, and the Captain and First Officer flye the plane. These people are complete strangers that you never see, you don't know, you are putting your life in their hands and have zero control over the situation.

If you can maybe pinpoint that is part of the problem, you can start to fix this.

The flight crew (Captain, FO, Engineer, and FAs) want to get home safely to see their families and their loved ones just as badly as you do.

The people flying the plane have tens of thousands of hours of flight experience (more than you have driving your car) and train more for disaster and safety than anything else.

I used to be deathly afraid of flying and it was so aggrivating.

What I did was educate myself. I watched documentaries, I spoke to pilots, I talked to FAs and mechanics, I read everything I could get my hands on.

The more I found out the less afraid I became.

I now love to fly.

Talk to airline personel. It would be a shame to have this ruin your trip.

Did anyone see Oprah the other day? It had the Ebersol family on, which, if you remember, lost their son in a tragic plane crash a few years ago...they were talking about whether or not they fear flying and they say they have been able to fly since then by asking each other are they happy before they fly...it reminds them that things will be okay....it was interesting.

Archived