Authentic Taste of Maui OR Ocean Vodka, Botanical Garden & Lavender Farm

SherriM

Looking at NCL POA Excursions for Maui.

Neither of these choices (see title) have reviews and they seem rather pricey.

Looking to find out if anyone can recommend one over the other? 

Thank you,

Sherri 

Yes those indeed seem pricey.  I can't figure out the authentic taste of Maui one--not sure where you go on that one. But Maui Brewing is just ok, it's not what I would call a highlight. The second one is a complete ripoff.  I've been to Ocean Vodka (took the tour), Kula botanical gardens and the lavender farm on land vacations.  You could easily see all of those places (as well as other upcountry sites) yourself if you rented a car and it would be much less and you would be on our own time.  I know the Ocean Vodka tour is like $12, it's $10 to get into the gardens and while there is a $12 guided tour for the lavender farm , you can pay $3 and tour the grounds on your own for free.  Not sure where the meal is but there are some great places to eat upcountry with great food and nice views.

That being said, upcountry is beautiful, and those are all nice stops with beautiful grounds.  Seeing those places and having lunch would make for a nice day, especially day 2 and if you do it through NCL you don't have to worry about driving or making it back to the ship.  But yikes $200 just seems really ridiculous.

Edited by Beachiekeen
  • Like 1

Oh and I was going to add that the lavender doesn't bloom year round--not sure when you're visiting.  I think it's still nice anyway--I've been in November and it wasn't in full bloom but I still really enjoyed it.  But some people are disappointed when they get there for that reason.

1 hour ago, Beachiekeen said:

Yes those indeed seem pricey.  I can't figure out the authentic taste of Maui one--not sure where you go on that one. But Maui Brewing is just ok, it's not what I would call a highlight. The second one is a complete ripoff.  I've been to Ocean Vodka (took the tour), Kula botanical gardens and the lavender farm on land vacations.  You could easily see all of those places (as well as other upcountry sites) yourself if you rented a car and it would be much less and you would be on our own time.  I know the Ocean Vodka tour is like $12, it's $10 to get into the gardens and while there is a $12 guided tour for the lavender farm , you can pay $3 and tour the grounds on your own for free.  Not sure where the meal is but there are some great places to eat upcountry with great food and nice views.

That being said, upcountry is beautiful, and those are all nice stops with beautiful grounds.  Seeing those places and having lunch would make for a nice day, especially day 2 and if you do it through NCL you don't have to worry about driving or making it back to the ship.  But yikes $200 just seems really ridiculous.

Thanks so much for your tips and suggestions. Our sailing is on 4/6/19. SOON!!! 

Feels like the smartest thing is to rent a car. Do you recall how close the rental cars are to the pier? 

Can you recommend any restaurants that are considered “must try”? 

You can get a rental car from the airport (maybe a 10 minute shuttle ride?)  Lots of options for rentals, just make sure you rent from a place that provides a shuttle from the pier.  Alot of people use Discount Hawaii Car Rental and it has alot of information for cruise passengers also.

There are a few nice places upcountry and in Paia also.  The ultimate would be Mama's Fish House in Paia but that would be about a $200 lunch (still less than the tour though!)  Upcountry I have eaten at Hali'imaile General Store (wonderful and there is a glass blowing place right across the street that is cool to look around in)  and Kula Lodge.  Another recommended for lunch is Kula Bistro which would be right after the lavender farm and gardens, and then you could do Ocean Vodka.  If you have time, Surfing Goat Dairy is right next door to Ocean Vodka and a fun place to see some goats and you can do a tour and sample some goat cheese.  Upcountry is full of gems really--on my last trip I did goat yoga!

Here is a snip so you can kind of see where these places are located.  All are very easy to drive to.

image.thumb.png.3fa007357d3ac9373cb3d8290d0b2cf0.png

Another great restaurant is the Mill House at the Maui Tropical Plantation.  The grounds are beautiful there, free admission, you can walk around for free or take a tram tour, have lunch, there is a gift shop and an ice cream parlor.  It's close to the harbor too, also very easy to drive to.  It could be combined with Iao Valley State Park for another nice day.

3 hours ago, SherriM said:

Can you recommend any restaurants that are considered “must try”? 

If you want some great local-style food, Da Kitchen in the Triangle Square located about midway between the airport rental car center & the Kahului cruise pier.

It’s tasty food with large portions & is usually busy with locals enjoying a meal.