Keto Coffee and Heavy Whipping Cream

Keto is my WOE (way of eating) now. Been doing it for 16 months and have gone on three cruises so far.  It's pretty easy to eat Keto on board. Bacon and eggs (and/or other meats) for b'fast, hot dogs/hamburgers w/o buns or ketchup ( or other meats) for lunch and entre's, veggies for dinner. Cheese plate for desert though I skip the fruit and crackers.   I mainly drink water, coffee and unsweetened ice tea. Alcohol is dry wines for dinner and an occasional scotch or bourbon on the rocks.  I've been addicted to sugar so I don't eat or drink anything sweet. Since I've stopped eating sweets I haven't had any cravings. Everybody is different but it works for me.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2019 at 7:54 AM, DisnyMik said:

Thanks everyone!

I tried the Protein shake in my coffee and I found it to be terrible!  And to me, there is a difference between HWC and half n half. It’s not the carb content in HWC vs HnH. That doesn’t concern me. I like the taste and creaminess of HWC.  I could use sweetener packets but I don’t use them in my coffee b/c I want the flavor (like vanilla).  

I also don’t want to carry refrigerated items around with me to get coffee.  I was hoping there was a yummy powder alternative that someone knew about. I’ve been searching but so far nothing. At least nothing that tastes good to me anyway. 

So, it looks like I’ll be trying HnH with sweetener to get used to it before we go. 

And, I won’t be doing full keto on the cruise. I just want to make choices of where I’m going to eat keto and not.  I hope that makes sense. 

Thanks for all all the input! 

I understand totally what you are saying about HWC. Since I switched to HWC, I totally miss that richness if I have to use something else. I used to put the flavored creamers in my coffee, thus why I can tolerate the pure protein. However, they discontinued the caramel for awhile and I hated the vanilla. I have since gotten used to it. I am thrilled that the caramel is back and just bought some at Walmart for my cruise next month. I have a lot of vanilla to use up at home. I am a little more concerned on this cruise about my willpower. Ive been keto over a year now and at my goal weight. I know I have a little wiggle room, but hope I can stay strong. 

I am on Keto with IF til 4 pm, with exceptions of 2 Muscle Milk protein shakes and black coffee, cant stand them mixed. Last cruise practically was able to go full Carnivore with options of breakfast, lunch and dinner.   I have never used HWC in my coffee but in the past when I am taking in to much Protein I drop the muscle milk during the day for MCT Oil in my coffee. Wouldnt that just be easier to bring onboard.

On 3/15/2019 at 6:58 PM, flarad said:

A little off topic but does anyone know if they serve any of the sparkling selzer alcohols like Whiteclaw or Truly?

They did not have them on Mariner, but I have seen someone post Whiteclaw showing up.  No clue which ship it was, though.

2 minutes ago, Choozin Croozin said:

Has anyone had any luck getting them to leave off the potatoes or rice? My last cruise, I kept asking but no luck. I just hate wasting food. Then I would ask for say a side of broccoli and I would get a dinner plate full 😂Again I hate wasting it. 

Slide it to the person sitting across from you.

1 hour ago, Choozin Croozin said:

Has anyone had any luck getting them to leave off the potatoes or rice? My last cruise, I kept asking but no luck. I just hate wasting food. Then I would ask for say a side of broccoli and I would get a dinner plate full 😂Again I hate wasting it. 

yes, every cruse we make it clear "no starch"  and they always deliver.  Interesting that you've not had that....

2 hours ago, alfaeric said:

yes, every cruse we make it clear "no starch"  and they always deliver.  Interesting that you've not had that....

Good to know. I will definitely try again. I just figured (because Ive taken the galley tour) its easier for them to pick up from all the plates that are pre-made, than to get something special. But he did have to get me my veggies??

On 3/15/2019 at 8:33 AM, ryano said:

I have to agree here.   Im in ketosis and have been for over a month.   I use regular half and half in my coffee.   It hasnt effected anything in the least.    As far as sweetener goes I have just gotten use to cream only now.   

Same here and I never used sweetener. At the office, I keep the Nut Pods, which are half coconut and half almond milk and use them. They stay fresh longer than dairy creamer does.

5 hours ago, Choozin Croozin said:

Yes, I asked my waiter and he would bring me broccoli and asparagus every night instead of the starch.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:47 AM, waterbug123 said:

I don't do Keto, but like my coffee the way I like it....with Trader Joe's raw stevia extract, pure vanilla extract, and cinnamon.  So, I travel with a small ziploc size bag that has all three.  The stevia extract comes in a powder form in a spice sized bottle, I pour vanilla extract into a small squeeze bottle, and get the half size shaker bottle of cinnamon from my grocery store.  Onboard we either have coffee from room service, or if we go to a dining venue, I add these three to my Yeti w/ lid before I leave the room, then add the coffee when we get to wherever we're having breakfast.   Some may laugh and see it as "high maintenance" but my coffee bag takes no room to pack and is an easy way to get my coffee onboard (or anywhere I travel) the same as I make it at home.  At least one friend has started doing likewise with vanilla and cinnamon.  🙂

Just sharing as an idea for anyone who may have similar preferences for a certain coffee sweetener or other additive not found onboard.

You can also get vanilla in powder form (search Amazon for "Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Powder") and you could mix it with your cinnamon and stevia powder in your desired ratios so you only have to bring one small container!