Stateroom Rules. Little help!

15 hours ago, AlexisV said:

There is a lot of bad information here.  The policy is quite clear - a cabin must have a guest at least 21 or over unless those guests are either married, in the military, or directly next to or across the hall from the parents/legal guardians.  Period.  Can mistakes happen and people get away with it?  Yes.  Would I take that chance and risk having an issue at check in that prevents me from being able to board?  NO.  Proceed at your own risk... I would be getting this straightened out sooner, rather than later to avoid problems.

The policy actually states CONNECTING rooms.  Rooms across the hall are NOT connecting.  And adjacent rooms may or may not be connecting.

15 hours ago, AlexisV said:

There is a lot of bad information here.  The policy is quite clear - a cabin must have a guest at least 21 or over unless those guests are either married, in the military, or directly next to or across the hall from the parents/legal guardians.  Period.  Can mistakes happen and people get away with it?  Yes.  Would I take that chance and risk having an issue at check in that prevents me from being able to board?  NO.  Proceed at your own risk... I would be getting this straightened out sooner, rather than later to avoid problems.

Actually the policy isn't clear, and really isn't talked about on the website. Online it only says connecting. I, and others, have booked in different scenarios that didn't involve connecting or adjacent rooms. Their policy may have changed but regardless, you likely can't book it online, you'd need to call to do it and if they booked it this way you should be fine.  I think OP said they used a TA, for this I'd likely book directly with RCCL to be safer, or have more recourse once I got to the ship and faced any issues.  All this makes me happy though mine are now all adults and can be booked in cabins on their own although we hope to take future grandchildren one day too but expect if we take them without their parents we'd be sharing a cabin.

8 minutes ago, AlexisV said:

You are incorrect.  

No they're not - directly from RCCL FAQ on their website, the only online printed part of their policy, which is why I said it's not clear because there have been other bookings that have been allowed by RCCL!

For voyages originating in North America:
No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

22 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

Actually the policy isn't clear, and really isn't talked about on the website. Online it only says connecting. I, and others, have booked in different scenarios that didn't involve connecting or adjacent rooms. Their policy may have changed but regardless, you likely can't book it online, you'd need to call to do it and if they booked it this way you should be fine.  I think OP said they used a TA, for this I'd likely book directly with RCCL to be safer, or have more recourse once I got to the ship and faced any issues.  All this makes me happy though mine are now all adults and can be booked in cabins on their own although we hope to take future grandchildren one day too but expect if we take them without their parents we'd be sharing a cabin.

It is clear.  But it seems that Royal may allow close by in some cases.

No, there is a thread about someone who called and booked very early, and closer to sailing got notified that the arrangement was not acceptable.

Based on what is published, if you do not book and adult with your children or they are in a CONNECTING cabin, you may have some last minute issues.

18 hours ago, AlexisV said:

You are incorrect.  

Hmm, I COPIED that from the Royal site.

Show me where it is published, BY RCCL, that I am wrong.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy

And to help you out (bold and red added by me):

"For voyages originating in North America:
No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required."

36 minutes ago, SRF said:

It is clear.  But it seems that Royal may allow close by in some cases.

No, there is a thread about someone who called and booked very early, and closer to sailing got notified that the arrangement was not acceptable.

Based on what is published, if you do not book and adult with your children or they are in a CONNECTING cabin, you may have some last minute issues.

I think that other poster ran into additional issues because he wasn't the parent/guardian of ANY of the minors, as they were nieces/nephews, hence why I'll be careful in the future for any future grandchildren as I expect that's similar.  

For OP since 3 of the children are his/his wife's (I know they're step but the parent connection should be fine with Mom on board) so that allows some flexibility but since he'll also have 2 non-related minors and 1 non-related 18 year old that's where it can get wonky.  

For all the "clearness" of the policy - when I used to book when my children were minors I always called RCCL directly and they never once said they were bending rules, I simply think it's one thing written and some flexibility when booking through RCCL as they can see cabins/proximity/etc but I don't know for sure and unfortunately there hasn't been any consistency from RCCL that any of us can infer what may actually work.

1 hour ago, AlexisV said:

Hahaha... I'm not going to argue. You don't have to believe me, I'm OK with that. If you would like to know, call them and ask for yourself.  🙂

I don't believe that you know the policy, as that what I quoted and posted.  From their website.

If they do not follow their policy, that is another thing entirely.

And if you accept what they tell you, and then when you go to board and they point at the published policy, then you are in trouble.

5 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

I think that other poster ran into additional issues because he wasn't the parent/guardian of ANY of the minors, as they were nieces/nephews, hence why I'll be careful in the future for any future grandchildren as I expect that's similar.  

Possibly, but it is a case where Royal booked it, then much later, told him it was against the policy.

I would want something in writing that the booking is acceptable to RC and in compliance with their policy.