Stateroom Rules. Little help!

Sailing on Freedom this summer out of San Juan.  

Original Plan:

Wife and myself in a Junior suite

Four kids (13,15,16 and 18) in an interior stateroom a few doors down and across the hall

My TA booked us with myself in one room and my wife in the other for ease of booking.  We’ve done that plenty of times and then we just switch on board.  I understand from posts here they don’t HAVE to do it that way, but I guess it’s just easier and doens’t matter to me.

NOW, change of plans.

We lost one of our kids (well, not really! But she has some conflicts and is opting out).  So we are actually looking at expanding things and bringing some friends.

What I want to do:

Wife and I in our current Junior Suite

13 y/o daughter, her 13 y/o friend, 15 y/o son and his 15 y/o friend in currently booked quad interior stateroom just down the hall.

18 y/o daughter and her 18 y/o friend in an interior double.  Same deck, same hall, but far forward (we’re by aft elevators).

Is this permissible?  What are the restrictions on “proximity” of rooms?

7 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Sailing on Freedom this summer out of San Juan.  

Original Plan:

Wife and myself in a Junior suite

Four kids (13,15,16 and 18) in an interior stateroom a few doors down and across the hall

My TA booked us with myself in one room and my wife in the other for ease of booking.  We’ve done that plenty of times and then we just switch on board.  I understand from posts here they don’t HAVE to do it that way, but I guess it’s just easier and doens’t matter to me.

NOW, change of plans.

We lost one of our kids (well, not really! But she has some conflicts and is opting out).  So we are actually looking at expanding things and bringing some friends.

What I want to do:

Wife and I in our current Junior Suite

13 y/o daughter, her 13 y/o friend, 15 y/o son and his 15 y/o friend in currently booked quad interior stateroom just down the hall.

18 y/o daughter and her 18 y/o friend in an interior double.  Same deck, same hall, but far forward (we’re by aft elevators).

Is this permissible?  What are the restrictions on “proximity” of rooms?

The cabins need to be directly across from or adjacent to your cabin.  Bringing friends adds another dynamic because you need more adults if they are unrelated kids in separate cabins.  Not to get too personal, but have read loads of your posts over the years, are these now your kids too?  If they aren't, I don't think the original configuration would have worked.  I know usually you bring lots of other adults which would have helped you have the right ratios in the past.

Proximity is usually within 2 or 3 cabins from the adults, but, as reallyitsmema has said, you may have too many children for the number of adults sailing.   The only way to know for sure is to call RCI and ask.  Others here (be they sailors or TAs (as I am)) will not know the true answer in your case as actual cabin locations and relationships do come into play.

Steve

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Notto get too personal, but have read loads of your posts over the years, are these now your kids too?  If they aren't, I don't think the original configuration would have worked.  I know usually you bring lots of other adults which would have helped you have the right ratios in the past.

Step kids!  Mom has sole physical and legal custody.  Not concerned about that.  We did it last year with us, the four kids and four friends.  Believe me, I’ve reached “expert level” as far as the paperwork and logistics goes!:classic_laugh:

1 minute ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Step kids!  Mom has sole physical and legal custody.  Not concerned about that.  We did it last year with us, the four kids and four friends.  Believe me, I’ve reached “expert level” as far as the paperwork and logistics goes!:classic_laugh:

Right, but weren't they all right beside you and you had grandparents too that added to your adult total?

The cabin at the other end of the ship is definitely an issue unless you are sailing from overseas where 18 yr olds can book their own cabins.

We've booked our kids when they were all under 18 in a room far enough away to be a different muster station but they were all mine so not sure how it would have worked with friends.  Also not sure what the adult/kid ratio needs to be as mentioned but I do know it does NOT have to be directly adjacent or across the hall - on that there is leniency but how far I'm not sure!

25 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Right, but weren't they all right beside you and you had grandparents too that added to your adult total?

The cabin at the other end of the ship is definitely an issue unless you are sailing from overseas where 18 yr olds can book their own cabins.

That's true.  It wasn't an issue with needing the grandparents last time because the two rooms with the four kids were next to each other and directly across from us.  I was officially in one room, my wife in one, and the 18 year old in another.  But I think the down-the-hall thing is going to be the dealbreaker.

I guess the best I could do would be relocate all the kids to adjoining rooms.  Put one of us in one with three kids, four kids in the other, and then book the other adult and one kid in the existing junior suite.  

It's kinda like musical chairs!:classic_cool:

If the rooms are not directly next to or across the hall from each other, they do have to be booked the way your TA did it because someone 21 or older has to be in each room, otherwise.  Adding your 18 year old child/adult and friend down the hall does not meet minor policy and would cause a problem during boarding, to the extent that they may not be able to board if there isn't a room option that gets the 18 year olds next to/across the hall from you (it's why your TA had to split you and your wife up on the reservations.)

19 minutes ago, AlexisV said:

If the rooms are not directly next to or across the hall from each other, they do have to be booked the way your TA did it because someone 21 or older has to be in each room, otherwise.  Adding your 18 year old child/adult and friend down the hall does not meet minor policy and would cause a problem during boarding, to the extent that they may not be able to board if there isn't a room option that gets the 18 year olds next to/across the hall from you (it's why your TA had to split you and your wife up on the reservations.)

The next door/across the hall thing is not accurate, at least in all my experience -we often booked all kids in one room a few doors down, as I've mentioned, they even had a different muster station.  I don't think they can be super far away though and I'm not sure how the adult/child ratio comes in to play with friends.  

Call C&A and ask them to make the booking....the 18 year olds shouldn't be an issue at all in a room alone.  If push comes to shove, simply book it with mom in with 2 kids, and one kid with you....once onboard, it doesn't matter...you can get the correct keys from the purser's desk (customer service)

30 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Call C&A and ask them to make the booking....the 18 year olds shouldn't be an issue at all in a room alone.  If push comes to shove, simply book it with mom in with 2 kids, and one kid with you....once onboard, it doesn't matter...you can get the correct keys from the purser's desk (customer service)

They are bringing 6 kids, not 3, where are you putting the rest of them?

Shoot I missed the 18 year olds in the last post - I think they're fine, especially same floor, it's how many "friends" you can bring (unrelated minors) that you may have problems with but I think since they're with your own children that should be fine!  I'd just hate for you to find out later like another poster that it wouldn't work but he was related, just not parent, and wanted them in a separate cabin and they wouldn't budge.

I'm certain that there was a post on the board recently about someone who who was the only adult with 2 or 3 kids and two rooms that was allowed to book, but then closer to the cruise, royal cancelled their rooms because of not having an adult per room. This is definitely a "get an answer from Royal directly" situation, and maybe call a couple times to see if you get the same answer from different people. I'd get an email detailing it's ok too, so you have it in writing. I've always thought the rule was at least 1 25(or was it 21) year old per room. But just because your TA tells you that you can do it don't just assume you are in the clear.

• Like 1

That's true.  It wasn't an issue with needing the grandparents last time because the two rooms with the four kids were next to each other and directly across from us.  I was officially in one room, my wife in one, and the 18 year old in another.  But I think the down-the-hall thing is going to be the dealbreaker.

I guess the best I could do would be relocate all the kids to adjoining rooms.  Put one of us in one with three kids, four kids in the other, and then book the other adult and one kid in the existing junior suite.  

It's kinda like musical chairs!:classic_cool:

From what we have been told - you and your kids don’t need to be right next to each other. So - I think you can put YOUR 18 and 15 year olds together and their friends in the room with you and your 13year old and the youngest friend in with your wife.....hopefully I got the ages right!

Then - swap your 15 yo for 18friend and you for the 13yo friend and everyone is where they want to be?

To summarize - Book this:
Wife , Friend in JS
Husband, 2 Friends, 1 kid in Quad
18yo and 1 kid in Double down the hall

Then switch to:
You/Wife in JS
13s and 15s in room 2
18s down the hall..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I'm certain that there was a post on the board recently about someone who who was the only adult with 2 or 3 kids and two rooms that was allowed to book, but then closer to the cruise, royal cancelled their rooms because of not having an adult per room. This is definitely a "get an answer from Royal directly" situation, and maybe call a couple times to see if you get the same answer from different people. I'd get an email detailing it's ok too, so you have it in writing. I've always thought the rule was at least 1 25(or was it 21) year old per room. But just because your TA tells you that you can do it don't just assume you are in the clear.

Yes - minors who you are not legal guardians for must be booked with an adult in the room - even if it’s adjoining it’s not good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From RCI Site:

For voyages originating in North America:
No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy

If they are YOUR kids, you can book them in a connecting cabin.  If they are not your kids, they need an adult (21 or older) in the cabin with them.

And it does say CONNECTING.

I would call and talk to a supervisor about the arrangements.  Just a week or so ago, there was a thread about someone who booked 18 months ahead of time, then a few months before the cruise, was told that the arrangements were not acceptable.

Edited by SRF

1 hour ago, SRF said:

From RCI Site:

For voyages originating in North America:
No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status required.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy

If they are YOUR kids, you can book them in a connecting cabin.  If they are not your kids, they need an adult (21 or older) in the cabin with them.

And it does say CONNECTING.

I would call and talk to a supervisor about the arrangements.  Just a week or so ago, there was a thread about someone who booked 18 months ahead of time, then a few months before the cruise, was told that the arrangements were not acceptable.

Thank you, would hate to be days before a Cruise or at Pier and find out not be within Policy. 

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The fact you had connecting cabins is what made your arrangement “compliant”

I was reading the PP who indicated that not your kids had to have an adult in the cabin....,which we didn't.

There is a lot of bad information here.  The policy is quite clear - a cabin must have a guest at least 21 or over unless those guests are either married, in the military, or directly next to or across the hall from the parents/legal guardians.  Period.  Can mistakes happen and people get away with it?  Yes.  Would I take that chance and risk having an issue at check in that prevents me from being able to board?  NO.  Proceed at your own risk... I would be getting this straightened out sooner, rather than later to avoid problems.

• Like 2