Why duct tape??

kathas2boys

Folks!

While duct tape is versatile, please consider the adhesive residue it will leave when removed when you use it to secure something that is moving.

The solution? Use gaffer's tape. This is what is used to temporarily secure wires amongst other things in stage production and other temporary uses. When removed it leaves no nasty sticky residue. :)

Gaffer's tape

Cheers,

Norman

But, will it hold a suitcase together which has just blown a zipper??

As a woman with M.S. trying to walk through gift store, on pool deck, in Tapas Restaurant was a SEAL obstacle course. Obviously the parents can't see or hear their screaming rugrats. I understand the staff of NCL can't even touch the children when running, but why not put them and their parents off at the next stop and blacklist them from cruising on any other line. Let the floodgates begin!

HUH:confused: Oh well I`ll bite........shall we bind them altogether with Duct Tape when we put them ashore?:rolleyes: Or maybe gaffers tape:p

HUH:confused: Oh well I`ll bite........shall we bind them altogether with Duct Tape when we put them ashore?:rolleyes: Or maybe gaffers tape:p

Gaff Tape (also Gaffer’s Tape): This special grade of duct tape (often colored black) was developed by the entertainment industry to hold lighting equipment and cables in place and has a dull finish so that it won’t reflect lights. Gaff Tape also has a specially formulated, less tacky adhesive that won’t leave a residue when it is removed.

from

http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html

Necessary-NO

Fun-YES, OH MY GOD YES

-Monte

Gaffer's or Duct? I can see it now, duct tape, and WD-40 to remove the residue, a must for every well thought out vacation!:eek:

So, is the consensus that we now have to have a thread entitled: "Don't Leave Home Without Your Gaffer"s Tape?"

WD40 the second most useful product - it removes the residue:)

I would not encourage the use of WD40 in confined places such as a small cabin. Check out the MSDS on it. Use it VERY sparingly at MOST!

WD means water displacer so it's the LAST thing you want to put on something that squeaks. It's a good vehicle to use to REMOVE stuff (aka solvent) but you must follow up with a proper long term lubricant. It's also quite flammable so if the vapors accumulate in an enclosed space and are ignited the resulting flash fire and sudden expansion can bring about rather undesirable consequences. Please observe safety and common sense at all times regarding the use of pressurized, flammable substances while onboard! This includes proper staging/stowage of said material.

I cannot stress this enough. The walls of these cans (this goes for hairspray too!) are very thin and if improperly stowed can fall and strike something creating a puncture in the vessel which can create an extremely hazardous condition. If this discharge were to be ignited the results could be catastrophic. Simple common sense goes a long way!

The spark from a bi-metal strip breaking the circuit in a hot plate, coffee pot, or travel iron can do this as can unplugging any of these devices while the load is energized. NEVER turn on an appliance or activate switches (whether light switches or start-stop stations!) in the presence of flammable vapors!

Also remember that (WD40) itself will leave a thin layer that attracts dust too. This is why we stopped the use of it to clean elevator doors, for example. Some also complain about the smell.

You can probably tell what I do for a living by now. ;)

Cheers,

Norman

I would not encourage the use of WD40 in confined places such as a small cabin. Check out the MSDS on it. Use it VERY sparingly at MOST

Also remember that (WD40) itself will leave a thin layer that attracts dust too. This is why we stopped the use of it to clean elevator doors, for example. Some also complain about the smell.

You can probably tell what I do for a living by now. ;)

Cheers,

Norman

Thanks for the Heads-Up.

So, how about "Goof-Off" Is it safe?

Gotta' have something to remove that sticky stuff easily and safely.

"Goof Off", "Oops" and similar often contain distillates of petroleum which can damage, crack, craze, etc. many finishes! They often attack most plastics too.

The best "cutters" are citrus based. These smell nice and are quite potent in removing things without harming finishes. The most important thing when using any solvent that claims to remove stains such as ink and paint(!) is to test a small amount in an inconspicuous area ALWAYS! Nothing is worse than rubbing something with a rag and noticing a change in the surface and the rag is the same color as what you're rubbing!

Goof Off 2 is probably a safe bet.

Cheers,

Norman

Distilled white vinegar is great for sticky residue - also non-toxic. In spray

bottle you can also spritz it on your sunburn. Re: duct tape. I always carry a roll now. Had to send friends out for some in Galway - wasn't for

kinky m wheel came off my suitcase. I also carry a roll of black electrical tape - I don't know why.

Happy sailing,

Nancy:)

Hubby thought you guys were pulling my leg...and considering that I am a blonde, I thought I should ask....So duct tape is a needy essential? yes?:D

LOL..Seriously though...My DH thought I was nuts to bring along Duct Tape after reading the hint on CC-(I'm blonde also)...But was he glad I did! We were in a Hotel in Santiago (Chile) after a cruise around South America..And one of our bags was chock full of clothes gifts etc.. Just before leaving the Hotel for the airport, we discovered a 6-8 inch gash in the bag..We unloaded the bag & duct taped it both inside & outside..The bag not only made it home without further damage but we were able to use it again..Have since replaced the luggage but would never leave home without our duct tape!

They used to make flat-pack duck tape (yes it was called duck tape with a ducks picture on it)..I purchased it in Walmart several years ago but have not been able to find it since..However you can just roll a small amount onto a flat peiece of cardboard & carry it with you...

As someone said there are 101 uses for it..Tell your husband, that not all blonds are dizzy..

Archived