Booking Alaska for 2020 questions????

sufmom

While we have cruised many times to the Caribbean, this will be my first time to Alaska and my husband's second (his first was 15+ years ago). Our children will be 4 and 6 next summer and their second or third cruise.

- When is the best time to book Alaska? It seems there are lots of incentives and lower rates for this coming summer, 2019, than for 2020. Do we wait until next year? 

- Looking mainly at Celebrity and RCL. Either Seward - Vancouver or Vancouver rt. Do either of those lines have heated swimming options? 

- We will fly out at least 1 day before, maybe more depending on hotel cost and local activities. Any tips on best way to book transfers with younger kids who still need carseats? 

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I wont be able to give you too much help about which ship since I don't have children. I suppose you know that you will need passports since you want to leave from Vancouver.  Get them as soon as possible if you don't have them already.

I loved Vancouver.  Be sure to go at least a day if not two before the cruise.  I loved Grouse Mt. and the 

Suspension Bridge.  The large park along the water is also something wonderful to see.  Do some research and you

will find all kind of things to do and see to keep you busy in Vancouver and all you'r ports.  

As far as the the ship with kids, sorry, I don't want to give advice I'm not qualified for. 

But, I will say, if you go to Juneau, Ketchikan or Skagway you will save some money by booking any tours with the private tour co's.  They are very reliable and safe to use.  Those are the ports I have been too. 

Have a wonderful cruise.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the car seat issue, you might look into bringing along travel booster seats like mifold if your children meet the size requirements for booster seats. We put these in our backpack for our last trip and used it for our 6 year old.  We are planning our 2020 Alaska trip too!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone! We have passports so that's taken care of already but thank you for mentioning it because not everyone knows they need them. 

I will look into the booster. Our youngest is in the 10th percentile so probably would not work for her but maybe the older one. 

I’ve already booked a 2020 cruise on the Radiance for Alaska - I wanted to choose my own cabin (an aft balcony, to take in the beautiful scenery on BOTH sides of the ship!!).

My advice - book now. Choose your cabin so you get good options - before the “good” ones get booked. With Royal Caribbean, if the price of your cabin drops - you can always call and get the savings applied to your cruise, as long as it is before final payment is due (3 months before the cruise). 

27 minutes ago, KansCocoa said:

I’ve already booked a 2020 cruise on the Radiance for Alaska ...

My advice - book now. Choose your cabin so you get good options

I booked on the Radiance on the day that booking for 2020 opened, because I wanted to grab one of the solo cabins. There are only three on the entire ship.

We sailed on Radiance last year - the southbound route.  Our flight from Vancouver was later in afternoon, so we booked a sightseeing trip with airport drop off - so took a coach bus from terminal to airport (no car seat would be needed).  Also we were taking 3 day precursor land tour with RCI and had airport transfers when we arrived in Anchorage, so that was another coach bus.  I would check on those options.  

I agree with others, book now for 2020.  Last month we booked our cruise for 2020 to Alaska.  Was shocked the limited number of balcony rooms left that were decent.  Meaning ones that didn't have late night entertainment above or below them.   

It was hard to see that the same cruise for the same time this year was $2,260 less.  But the room availability is even less.  

I'm hoping for some price reductions before final payment to get our cost down a little, and if not I'm fine with the price we paid.  

My main worry about not booking far in advance is your shore excursions could be limited.  They may be booked up already if you were thinking you'd book spring for a summer cruise.