NCL STAR

whitewhale2

Good afternoon,  Last minute questions.  I know these may have been answered before, but I booked last minute and looking for answers.   NCL Star out of Mexico this Saturday.  Last time we cruised five years ago you could bring your own water and coke in your suitcase.  I read somewhere that that is no longer allowed?  They take everything if you try to bring it on?  On the star it says lap pool,  is this only available to those who pay for the spa?  Has anyone's bid for an upgrade been accepted two or three days before the cruise?   Any pointers or tips for the STAR. 

Thank you in advance!

(1) NO you can not bring water or soda pop on board.

(2) From the deck plans, it looks like there in a lap pool in the Spa.  I believe an extra cost for that.  There will probably be a free tour of the Spa on Saturday before you sail.  Might want to check it out.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, valleyvillage said:

Actually, there is a Thalasso Therapy Pool, a hot tub, and a lap pool. Also some wonderful heated tile loungers, sauna, and steam!

I stand corrected.  I've done the spa on the jewel class and the escape but never the star, the jewel class and escape dont have the lap pool

• Like 1

Thank you all for the wonderful information,  sad about water and soda though.  Can you get soda water free of charge at the bars?   Also any tips,  we took the STAR ten years ago, but all got sick with the NorVirus, so don't remember much about the ship.   If anyone is a latitude member,  quick question,  we are platinum and it says we get a free meal at two of the specialty restaurants,  when can we book these?  In five years some of the logistics of cruising sure have changed.   Again thank you.  Never have booked so close to sailing usually have had months to plan.  

Also I will look tonight, but since you are all great in responding,  any suggestions for the ports?  We did that Las Casistas owned by Angelica Hueston's dad last time, and noticed it is not even on the list of excursions anymore.   Just thinking of making it a walk around the ports kinda of trip unless anyone has any suggestions.  

Just back from NCL Star ( 3/9/19-3/16/19).  Cagneys was not good.  As other reviews have stated sides are cold and getting a medium steak was not possible. Ours were raw.   They have removed the potato soup and shrimp in shrimp cocktail not chilled and crisp.  Just not the same Cagneys in the past.  The  Kung Pao in the free Ginza restaurant was excellent.  Gatsby is a bar with live music and a good place to wait for your Ginza  dinner with the pager. Jason the guitar entertainment was excellent.   Bring a warm outfit the sea days are cool.  Can’t bring water or soda.  Cruise is very casual.  Avoid Stone Beach excursion in Mazatlán.  The carriage ride was a joke and if it is windy, it is a miserable day. Our tour left early because of wind and they redflaggd the beach.  Lots of pesky vendors.  

493027F2-3971-40D1-977A-31AE2E4B01E8.jpeg

601FD11C-372B-4E90-AD5D-A35107A1BE18.jpeg

B771A54E-8B57-4AEF-A1AF-DB43319607F1.jpeg

A8CF173F-B656-4D68-8535-D5D320045431.jpeg

• Like 1

Luxury day sail 2 1/2 hour tour in Cabo was excellent.   Includes a beto box of lunch (@10 am) and drinks.  Included chicken, cerviche, guacamole chips, Roll and brownie.  Beer or mixed drinks included.   Photographer on board sells pics for $20.00 each or all emailed for $49.00.  Must be back on board at 1:30 and there was just enough time to grab lunch Senor Frogs for lunch, although I would look for a better place to eat.  $ 28.00 for 2 margaritas and a sad bowl of chips and salsa plus tip. It was convenient and we were limited on time. 

We will also be on the Star this weekend.  I have a bid in on an upgrade and have not heard anything yet.  I think I put it in about 6 weeks ago.  Have researched and it sounds like they only award very high bids right away then wait until the last minute for the rest.  Just business getting the best prices.  I expect to hear in a day or two.

NCL bans all soda and water, but really, I am going to put a couple diet Dr. Peppers in all our bags.  If they have a problem with it they can have them.  I have their drink package anyway just hate they only offer diet coke (or similar) and maybe diet lemon lime.  Kinda silly how they allow prescription Narcotics onboard but diet pop and water for a Diabetic is not allowed.  

14 hours ago, whitewhale2 said:

If anyone is a latitude member,  quick question,  we are platinum and it says we get a free meal at two of the specialty restaurants,  when can we book these?

You get two meals for two. One at Moderno or La Cucina and the other at Cagneys or Le Bistro.

Bookings opened up 120 days before the cruise, so the good times have probably already filled up. It's probably worth checking on myncl though. You can reserve Cagneys, Le Bistro or La Cucina with no upfront charge, but if you select Moderno then you would have to pay upfront and then try to get your money back onboard, so it's probably best to wait for that.

If nothing is available online then don't worry, they hold some places back to book onboard, so just go to the restaurant reservation desk once you get onboard to book them.

thank you to all,  looking forward to just relaxing.  It is a shame about Cagney's, it is the one we have never tried.  We will just try to book onboard  and see what happens.  I always hate booking and then they have something interesting at the open restaurants.  

53 minutes ago, whitewhale2 said:

thank you to all,  looking forward to just relaxing.  It is a shame about Cagney's, it is the one we have never tried.  We will just try to book onboard  and see what happens.  I always hate booking and then they have something interesting at the open restaurants.  

When you board the STAR ask where the Dining Reservations desk is *** - normal in cruise it is staffed with one person but

on embarkation day there maybe another location staffed with several crew members - find out where that is and head

over there as soon as possible making all your reservations at that time. If you have made reservations previously this is

the time to make adjustments and changes if necessary. Do not wait long - with all the guests boarding the good times

will quickly be gone leaving only the 5:30pm and 9:00pm time left if that at all. Now that I have revealed the method to

this dining reservation madness - you wait - you lose +++ and don't miss Cagney's this time whatever time is available ! 

*** The Dining Reservations Desk is in the Grand Atrium deck 7 - the alternate during embarkation maybe forward in

or near the Sushi Bar Ginza restaurants (deck 7) look for signage !

Was on the Star last year and the best restaurant on there is probably Le Bistro . Didn't have a problem booking times even mid-week if you don't mind eating early. The ship's promenade deck goes all the way around so its a great place to get a lot of steps in the evening and not very crowded. It's also the fastest way if you are going from the theater to the lounge or vice versa if you have back-to-back events and want to get a good seat. You can make orbits on deck 13 also - I would do that in the morning after a quick bite in the buffet. It was wonderful doing the walking and watching the ship come into the ports and got to meet the captain on one morning.

The hot tubs and loungers on deck 13 on the bow are relatively quiet - almost deserted compared to the pool area.Topsiders Grill on the pool deck serves up great burgers and dogs and has a simple breakfast buffet in the morning if you don't like the crowds - the NCL muesli is addictive! Take the stairs as much as possible instead of the elevators - I expanded my non-stop stamina from 4 decks to 8 by end of the cruise - it was easier to walk along your cabin deck and then drop down the stairs close to your destination. the ship is good sized but not too big or ever felt crowded.

All of the ports are good - take a tour or wander around.If the Yelplata tour is still available for Puerto Vallarta then that's a great way to see things outside of the city down the coast . Mazatlan offers the most authentic experience if you just grab a taxi to the city center for about $7 -forget the $40 trips to the Golden Zone. We wandered around the huge market and the cathedral and took a taxi back -I'd do that again without hesistation.

On 3/19/2019 at 3:40 PM, JesseB said:

I stand corrected.  I've done the spa on the jewel class and the escape but never the star, the jewel class and escape dont have the lap pool

The Jewel Class ships have lap pools in the Havens.