Help! *Waterfalls Of Damajagua - Adrenaline Adventure* Amber Cove

MotoChick9

Hello All!

Has anyone done the Waterfalls Of Damajagua - Adrenaline Adventure excursion in Amber Cove?  If so, what are your thoughts on someone who is a little timid with water adventures partaking in this excursion?  I see life jackets are used which is a plus, looking to see how "extreme" this specific excursion is as the rest of us in our group are all completely fine with water.

Thanks in advance!

We did the full 27 waterfalls excursion in January through Iguana Mama and I can easily say it was one of the top 3 excursions we have done period!  I am not afraid of water but I am pretty afraid of heights and I didn't skip any of the waterfalls including the highest jump (though I was next to last to jump and my heart was pounding!!).  Iguana Mama offers options for the full 27 or just 12.  The hike was pretty good for the 27 but was definitely worth it if everyone is in relatively good shape.  You do wear life jackets and our specific excursion had 3 guides (1 from Iguana Mama and 2 from the park itself).  All of the guides were amazing at making sure everyone was safe and helping out wherever needed.  If you decide to do this make sure you take either old tennis shoes you don't mind getting wet or sturdy water shoes/sandals (like Tevas or Keens) as the hike up and some of the hiking between falls is really rocky.  There are lots of videos on YouTube that might give the timid person a better idea of what goes on.

Edited by HangryGrl
  • Like 1

I did the Iguana Mama 12 falls excursion a few weeks ago.  The highest jump (about 25 feet) is included in the 12 falls and 27 falls, but not in the 6 or 7 falls.  I did the jump, but one man and one woman in our group passed, feeling like it was too high.  There's a ladder to go around.  You wear both a helmet and a life jacket and I think there are good reasons for both.

It was a unique excursion and I'm glad I did it.  After reading the suggestion online, I took and wore old tennis shoes I could leave there when done.  They'll find a new home, and you don't have to worry about dealing with soaking wet shoes when you're done.  People in my group also rented shoes at the falls, and said they were OK.

• Like 1

We did Iguana Mama too. Fun.  I think I was the oldest guy in our group.  Don't do it through Carnival.  And know beforehand how to get outside the Amber Cove compound to meet a private tour.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

I did the 12 Falls in January. I love adventure and pushing myself to do extreme things. I have to say, that highest jump did have my legs feeling like jello but I’m glad I did it. This is going to be a one time only excursion for me. It was fun, but I don’t need to do it again lol. Like others said, wear a good pair of water shoes that will be comfortable to walk in! It’s quite a trek to get to the starting point and my uncle had on shoes that cut into his feet and made it miserable to walk the rest of the week. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jsglow said:

And know beforehand how to get outside the Amber Cove compound to meet a private tour.

We were at Amber Cove last year, but took a taxi to Mt. Isabel de Torres. Absolutely loved it and want to go back to that port some day and try something else. So for future reference, where do you meet up with a private tour group? Do they come to the same pavilion area where everyone gets a taxi or gets on excursion buses?

• Like 1

I posted a review from last year in my signature below.  (see the carnival conquest).   I did some videos and pictures.  We used Iguana Mama and did all 27.  There is a half hour or so hike.   I didn't think it was too bad.  Everyone was able to complete it.  

There are lots of different height jumps.  Some of the taller ones have stairs you can climb down if you don't want to jump.   I don't really like heights and I did it.  The stairs honestly seemed worse to me.  🙂  There are also several slides but none were bad.   

I would recommend it.  You have life vests and guides helping you the entire time.  there really isn't much swimming.   a little bit of floating.  a lot of walking.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

We were at Amber Cove last year, but took a taxi to Mt. Isabel de Torres. Absolutely loved it and want to go back to that port some day and try something else. So for future reference, where do you meet up with a private tour group? Do they come to the same pavilion area where everyone gets a taxi or gets on excursion buses?

No, you must walk out past the taxis and tour buses through the outer gate along a sidewalk.  Private companies line up along the main highway, usually about 100 yards left of the entrance gate, but outside the security gate for the complex.  It's less complicated than Roatan in that you hit the main road in a straight shot.  But it's still a pretty good walk to get off the property.

15 minutes ago, jsglow said:

No, you must walk out past the taxis and tour buses through the outer gate along a sidewalk.  Private companies line up along the main highway, usually about 100 yards left of the entrance gate, but outside the security gate for the complex.  It's less complicated than Roatan in that you hit the main road in a straight shot.  But it's still a pretty good walk to get off the property.

Thanks for the information. Will have to keep that in mind. Yeah, it is a pretty good walk.

@brookeq I just went through your review,  thank you for that. My friend almost drowned when she was young.  Has come leaps and bounds since but still has that fear.  I'm betting it will be a challenge, but will ultimately be something we can help her through for an amazing experience.

14 hours ago, MotoChick9 said:

@brookeq I just went through your review,  thank you for that. My friend almost drowned when she was young.  Has come leaps and bounds since but still has that fear.  I'm betting it will be a challenge, but will ultimately be something we can help her through for an amazing experience.

Well, although everyone is saying go for a third-party booking to get more waterfalls, maybe try the Carnival one, which has only six (6), and does not involve the highest jump, and your friend will have a little less to be stressed about.  I can just imagine being a little afraid on the first one, realizing that I have 26 more to go...

The big jump on the 12 Falls (and more) is NOT to be underestimated.  It is roughly equivalent to jumping off a diving tower except the foothold is a tiny ledge hewn in the rock and the target is much smaller area in the water, nestled among the rock ledges.  It is not without risk.  Keep that in mind.

16 hours ago, MotoChick9 said:

Just an FYI the biggest two jumps are towards the middle if you do all 27.   The jumps in the beginning if you do them all are the easiest.   I think the second highest jump is right around waterfall 12.  So doing the shorter trip doesn't skip the tall jumps.  In fact it may be the first jump.   

You know your friend more than we do.   If you do decide to go talk to your guide ahead of time.   Let them know the situation so they can help her.

If it is water the person is afraid of vs heights, I would actually recommend doing the full 27 waterfalls.  The first few jumps/slides are into shallower water and there is some walking in between through the river bed.  I think this would allow the person to ease into the experience more than starting in the middle where the jumps are larger and the water deeper.  Just my 2 cents.  Also you are getting the 27 waterfalls, plus lunch and drinks (rum!) for the same price as 6 through the cruise line.