Bahamas within walking distance

ragethjj23

My wife is pregnant and we are traveling on the carnival freedom mid April. We will be traveling to key west, Nassau and Freeport. Do these ports (in the Bahamas in particular) have places near port that you can walk to and explore?  We didn’t want to do anything too adventurous so any ideas would be great!

In Nassau, you dock “downtown” so you can easily walk to shops and restaurants, as we’ll as to the straw market. You can also take a quick water taxi or regular taxi to Paradise Island which is right across the water from where you dock. 

Freeport is a bit more challenging. You dock in an industrial area. There are some shops and bars within walking distance that are normally open only when cruise ships are docked. Just your typical tourist trap fare. If you want to see something worth your while in Freeport, you will HAVE to leave the port area, either by taxi or excursion. 

At both stops, I highly recommend that you get out of the immediate area near the port. That will determine whether you say: “these ports sucked” or “these ports were awesome”.

About your wife’s mobility while pregnant, you may be surprised at how much they can do. We sailed when my wife was almost at the cutoff, plus we had our 23 month old with us in tow. We took a cruise to Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel and we did quite a bit, more than I expected. Yes, you’ll need to refrain from doing the more adventurous stuff, but you don’t need to limit yourself to what’s within walking distance. I know that every pregnancy is different, but when we sailed, my wife was on her second trimester and said that she felt great the entire time. First and third trimester not so much. 

Have a great time! 

Edited by Tapi

13 hours ago, Tapi said:

At both stops, I highly recommend that you get out of the immediate area near the port. That will determine whether you say: “these ports sucked” or “these ports were awesome”.

Totally agree with this!  The vendors around the port and at the straw market in Nassau are aggressive and turn a lot of people off.  Maybe take a taxi over to Atlantis and check out the aquarium.  Or get a day pass at one of the hotels and enjoy the beach.

Key West is very walkable and you can see quite a bit just walking around.  Mid-April shouldn't be too hot for walking.    

13 hours ago, Tapi said:

Freeport is a bit more challenging. You dock in an industrial area. There are some shops and bars within walking distance that are normally open only when cruise ships are docked. Just your typical tourist trap fare. If you want to see something worth your while in Freeport, you will HAVE to leave the port area, either by taxi or excursion. 

Agree with Tapi!  Freeport is where you will really want to take a taxi ... or an excursion.  :classic_wink:

For Freeport: We spent a week on Grand Bahama for Spring Break and we had a blast. Take a taxi to Banana Bay. You can rent a lounge chair and eat/drink all afternoon. It's an amazing beach and not crowded. If you want more of a party atmosphere, Taino is the place to be.