Cruise Show discounts any good?

I figure this has been addressed before, but the search function seems to be choking right now. There's a cruise show in town tomorrow. What should I expect if we go. Are the discounts worth it? Anything better there than I can get online? Any extras that make it worth going?

I've never heard of a cruise show. I will assume it's some sort of promotion - various cruiselines and/or local TAs pushing their product? If so, I would imagine you could sign up for drawings for cruises, etc. Might be interesting if you haven't cruised before.:confused:

Before you go, I suggest that you do a quick look at cruises that you might want to go on, categories and prices. Friends of ours had a TA who was in a similar show, and they were able to put down a smaller deposit than usual on a cruise they were interested in. There were drawings for items, as mentioned above.

As Boo's Mom said, don't let them pressure you! Have fun!

I went to a cruise & travel show in yesterday and it was by far the most pathetic presentation we have ever experienced. Glad I had free passes rather than pay $8./pp to pick up brochures. In previous years, representatives from many of the Caribbean Islands had booths with lots of information to hand out, major world wide hotels also had booths set up. This time only a few hotels had information and it was limited to specific destinations. Lots of open floor space that in the past was filled with booths selling travel related products. One plus, however, the USPS had a booth with a huge line to have pix taken and apply for a pass port. Some of the cruise lines were present, but the premium lines who were always in attendance, did not attend this year. The emphasis was on all inclusive resorts and low-end priced cruises. The charity auction seemed to stir interest. The represenatives from the cruise lines were like vultures if you showed interest in anything above the $299 range. I requested a few quotes and they were higher than I got from my local TA.

There is one here in the DFW area today that we have gone to nearly every year. Not going this year. Yes, lots of free catalogs and hundreds of people. Have never booked at a cruise show because our PVP (personal vacation planner) with Carnival gets us much better pricing. Yes, there are drawings, too, but they happen all day long and you have to be there to win. It's fun to go to if you have never been (tip: go early, when they first open).

Archived