Bora bora tender - pick up from wharf at 8.30?

cakerbaker

Hi there,

We're looking at a cruise next year through French Polynesia, I'm just looking at a lagoon tour in Bora Bora.  The pick up is from the wharf at 8.30am.  How realistic is it to book this given I'm guessing we'll need to tender from the ship? We can be up early, but I know that ship excursions will get first tenders.  Does anyone know what time the tenders usually start going?  The ship we're looking at is supposed to arrive at 8am, but I know this is a guide and ships can arrive a fair bit before this.

Thanks!

8:30 is pretty doable, but really depends on how big your ship is and how many you estimate will book a ships tour. We've been been on the first or second tender three times in BB and been on the dock before 8:15. Three times the tenders have started over promptly at 8am. Besides tour operators can see a big ship parked in front of the dock and know it may take time for those who've booked with them to tender. They'll wait for you! We just did BB for 4 days on a cruise in December and watched tour operators wait more than a few times for late tendering passengers.

PS....we did three different snorkel excursions in BB in December, one with Lagoon Service, one Pure Snorkeling and one Tohora Bora Bora. They were all wonderful but Tohora Bora Bora was exceptional. Manta rays, eagle rays, sting rays, dolphins and gorgeous coral gardens. Outstanding guide Simon (and he will definitely wait for you!) and the day was the highlight of our cruise. BB is heaven on earth.

Edited by Petoonya

Thanks so much Petoonya.

Yes, we're looking at Ovation OTS which is massive, 1000s of people, hence why I was thinking about whether it would work.  

I just looked up Tohora Bora Bora and it looks incredible, thanks for the recommendation - I'll contact him 🙂   It all looks so amazing, it's hard to wait till next year, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

3 hours ago, cakerbaker said:

Thanks so much Petoonya.

Yes, we're looking at Ovation OTS which is massive, 1000s of people, hence why I was thinking about whether it would work.  

I just looked up Tohora Bora Bora and it looks incredible, thanks for the recommendation - I'll contact him 🙂   It all looks so amazing, it's hard to wait till next year, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

You are so welcome. I'd book Tohora now for next year Caker if you've booked the cruise. With that many people arriving that day on your ship, the best tours will sell out early and Simon only takes 8 passengers. Really so much nicer with a smaller group too than 12 passengers other tours have. It might work better to start your tour at 9am anyway, and you get to make the call unless someone has booked before you which is possible. When I think of our last trip I think of our day with Tohora- it was blissful. Excited for you.

Ovation's passengers are going to sink the island! It's really hard to picture that many people arriving at the little harbor in Vaitape. The locals go through it a few times a year but they're more used to the small ships like PG and Wind Spirit. The local doggies at the dock will be very happy to see so many potential food sources 🙂 Have fun.

• Like 1

Good to know, I'll get right on it, well after payday anyway lol!  Yes, large ship small place will be crazy, I know I avoid our  hotspot tourist areas when a large ship is in, so I dread to think how it will be for the locals.  Hopefully they make plenty of $$.  I'll also pack some dog biscuit packets for the doggies 🙂 

2 hours ago, cakerbaker said:

Good to know, I'll get right on it, well after payday anyway lol!  Yes, large ship small place will be crazy, I know I avoid our  hotspot tourist areas when a large ship is in, so I dread to think how it will be for the locals.  Hopefully they make plenty of $$.  I'll also pack some dog biscuit packets for the doggies 🙂 

That's so sweet of you on the doggie care packets 😍 French Polynesians do not believe in spay/neuter so even donations do not help. Strays everywhere- the worst of it is on Moorea. Bless your thoughtful heart!