Can Princess "force" an upgrade?

BoopTennis

I have stayed in the same cabin 3 cruises in a row. Its a club class mini. I am booked in the same cabin in 2020. I have no upgrade on my reservation so there better be a good reason to move me.

21 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

There have also been numerous posts on CC over the last few years where Princess passengers were not able to recover their original cabin.

Hence the disclaimer in the 3 little letters IMO........😉

Thank you for your response, CC.  You made me realize that I'd done the same thing that I am accusing others of doing.

It is well reported that people have received unsolicited upgrades.  So, yes, Princess will "move" you, and, then, send you advice.  Some people have reported that they have been unable to be reinstated into their original cabin.  Some people have reported that they have been able to be reinstated into their original cabin.

My experience is that I have been able to be reinstated on three different occasions.  I have never been unable to do so.

The salient point that I am going to emphasize, here--the point that I previously "talked around"--was that I called Princess within 24 hours of them sending the upgrade e-mail.

If you call within 24 hours, you should be able to be reinstated.  If you do not call within 24 hours, then I would say there are no guarantees, and, in fact, it is less likely that you will be reinstated.

Also, being the realist I am, I assume that the 24-hour timer starts when Princess transmits the message, not when the recipient finds the time to open it up.

That being said, there is a scenario that I can see that might be problematic for me.  I've never, actually, heard of this happening, but I do have to wonder.

In a couple weeks we are leaving on a cruise to Alaska.  We booked our favorite cabin last spring.  In January I received an upgrade e-mail.  That was unsatisfactory for us, and, so, I called and was reinstated to our favored cabin.  In February I received an upsell offer.  That, too, was unsatisfactory, and, so, I just ignored it.

Cabin sales in the section (A-Deck, far forward) appeared to be lagging.  My coffee shop buddy and I wondered if Princess might choose to "close off" that entire section so they could reduce their maintenance responsibilities.  To my way of thinking, that would be specious logic, because they are not going to off-load the room stewards for that cruise.  They still will be paying stewards.  However, there might be something that I am missing here. 

So, is it possible that I could drive to the port and learn at check-in time that I have been moved to another cabin?

Nothing is impossible.

However, I can report that sales in that section have been picking up.  All inside cabins are now marked "Sold."  I would be very surprised if all balcony cabins are not sold prior to sailaway.

Now, being totally pragmatic, my experience is that all cabins are on the same itinerary.  I will get the same shipboard experience, get the same number of sea days and visit the same number of ports regardless of whatever cabin we may be assigned.  Life is good.

Glad you were able to recover the cabins.

I think the way the passage contract is written that they could pretty much do whatever they want with a booked cabin whether it is marked no upgrade or not. Although I am glad it does not happen often.

I remember once when there was work being done on a ship and a whole section of cabins were taken back and closed off because the ship work wasn't completely done and they had to continue to make room for the workers....anything can be a good reason to move cabins around.  This reminds me of meeting a woman once on a Grand TA and she was fuming 🤑because she lived in a SUN VILLAGE in Arizona and there  was this couple that she and her husband didn't like....well, they found out about the TA and also booked...rode to the airport together...on the plane etc...got to the ship to find out that the other couple was upgraded to a suite from a balcony...freebie from Princess....their first time on a Princess cruise..😲.the woman telling me this was sooo peeved...they were Elites and never got an upgrade like that....both couples had booked balconies.....I'm sure that 27 day cruise was not a happy one for that woman LOL I told her the bright side was they were no longer on the same floor !