Room Safe

jackmfn

On 4 cruises all have been good. On our 1st cruise somehow the people we met locked their key in the safe with all of their $$. The ships personel had to rip it out of the wall and distroy it to get it open. It was all his fault or her fault depending on who you talked to, LOL.

You didn't say which cruiseline. Most Carnival ships use a card for the safe (do NOT use your cabin key card, as it could de-magnatize it; use a library card, grocery card, etc. instead). Some of the older ships use a keypunch code, which is known only to yourself.

I've always used the safes with no issues. I haven't heard of anyone who's had their safe broken into.

I had big problems on Mercury. As I recall once the safe was opened you only had a few minutes before you could re lock it. Also for some reason it would time you out, so that you could not re enter the safe. Once we had to call the front desk, to get it opened Pronto, since our tour tickets were locked inside. I was given to understand that X did not wish to spend money to fix the problem. They did not even give instructions about the 'timing'.Have not had problems with any other safes. Just for the record I worked with security alarm companies for over thirty years, and have never encountered such a strange set up. john

Can anyone tell me if the room safes are reliable? First time cruisen!:confused:

Hello jack,

I am not sure what you mean by "reliable ? " . I was just on Celebrity's Constellation and the safe worked fine. It was set up to use 4 digit number. Safe is opened as 'one' enters the room for the cruise. There was a 'number pad' on the safe and 'one' will push numbers (1, 2, 3, 4 or whatever ) and close the door of the safe and push " close" button on the numeric pad. The locking 'pin'will move and the safe is 'locked' - to open it one has to enter the same exact numbers and push 'open' on the numeric pad and the locking pin gets retracted and the door is open. Whatever numbers are used to lock it - the same numbers have to be entered to open it. The moment the safe gets opened it has no memory whatever numbers were entered before..... it only keeps in memory the numbers on closing.......so if one wants, one can use a new set of four numbers each time when closing/locking the safe .....just make sure you remember the last set of numbers that were used.

One time I must have entered a number by mistake (when closing) and it was not what I remembered.......so I called the ' room steward's' tel number asking for help and his supervisor showed up in few minutes and 'swiped' his card by the safe's reader and the safe was open..........so is it 'reliable'? yes, .... but it can be opened by someone else that got that card.

Wes

you had to use a credit card. Therefore, we could never lock up our cr card!

Any card with the magnetized strip will work. Friends who were on an RCCL cruise took their library card and used it, at my suggestion. As I said above, any grocery card, library card - or even an expired gift card - will work....and it won't tie up your credit card.:)

Archived