Cruise Review - Mexico March 23-30 Royal Princess

travelphreak

54 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Thank you for your review.  We've never sailed on an of the newer Princess ships and am excited to try it out in a couple of weeks.  

Also, thanks for the answer above about the disembarkation.  Glad to hear it went relatively well.  

I will try to answer several questions in the same post.

To Cruise Raider: We are Platinum so we get 150 free minutes each - we only used about half.  They did have a promotion for unlimited internet but I don't remember the price.  Others on CC have given varying prices but it sounds like a good deal no matter what.

To Cruise Raider: I probably didn't make myself clear on the odd/even and forward/aft issue.  When you walk out of the elevator there is a sign opposite saying what deck you are on and what things are on it.  What there was not was any indication of which way for odd/starboard or even/port until you walked over to one side and looked at the sign as you enter the corridor - and we were wrong about half the time LOL.  The only time we actually got turned around was on Lido Deck.  "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and I wish Princess had not "fixed" it.  Adding "ODD" and "EVEN" or "PORT" and "STARBOARD" would be a cheap solution to the problem.  Also part of the problem was at least half the time we used the stairs.

To CineGraphic: Next cruise I will take your advice - I love lamb chops.

To greenie082756: We didn't try Alfredo's this time - we meant to but mostly ate in the MDR.  We overheard a couple sitting next to us saying that the pizza was great.  In the evenings Alfredo's has more Italian choices besides just pizza.

It looks like I hit a nerve with my comments on the Crown Grill.  Part of that was a cumulative comment - we go to the Crown Grill at least once on every cruise and we have seen the quality of steaks go downhill each time - this cruise was just the low point.  DW had the filet both times and said it was good.  It is a classy place and our waitstaff was excellent both times.  We will go back on future cruises but I will probably not order a steak - they have plenty of other choices.

I want to say again - these were nitpicky problems.  Overall we had a great cruise.  The Royal Princess is a beautiful ship - it is just "different" than other Princess ships we have sailed on.  I'm sure if we try it again we will get used to the differences - and since its home port is Los Angeles I'm sure we will.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, travelphreak said:

It looks like I hit a nerve with my comments on the Crown Grill.  Part of that was a cumulative comment - we go to the Crown Grill at least once on every cruise and we have seen the quality of steaks go downhill each time - this cruise was just the low point.  DW had the filet both times and said it was good.  It is a classy place and our waitstaff was excellent both times.  We will go back on future cruises but I will probably not order a steak - they have plenty of other choices.

I think most agreed with you about the quality/food at Crown Grill. I hear good things about the sea bass (I haven't ordered it).