Will the 18% rise to 20% like Celebrity

I have just been checking things on the Celebrity Cruises website and see that the service charge on drinks and drinks packages rose to 20% on 29th March. Not sure about Speciality dining. As RCI is part of the same company has anyone heard if a similar rise is on the way for RCI? 

9 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Not sure about the service charge, but they are changing their pricing strategy, starting on the 4th. No more Go big, better, best. 

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Sail_Your_Way_Elements_FAQs_internal.pdf

Well darn.  I know you paid for it but it was enticing nonetheless.

What does inside final payment mean?

1. Does the Non Refundable Fare apply to bookings made inside final payment?

Yes, the Non Refundable Fares will be available to book within final payment, however the full payment will be due at the time of booking.

12 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Not sure about the service charge, but they are changing their pricing strategy, starting on the 4th. No more Go big, better, best. 

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Sail_Your_Way_Elements_FAQs_internal.pdf

Interesting, wonder if we'll start seeing this across all their lines.

Just now, parrotfeathers said:

I wonder how long it will be until the grat on each drink rises to 20% when you don't have a package.

I expect it will happen at the same time.  I'd rather just see the drink price increased to cover it but I know then they'd figure out another charge to add on top.  

4 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

What does inside final payment mean?

1. Does the Non Refundable Fare apply to bookings made inside final payment?

Yes, the Non Refundable Fares will be available to book within final payment, however the full payment will be due at the time of booking.

Right, I mean essentially aren't all payments inside final non-refundable?  

We seemed to always get really good deals on the Go Best promotions. We booked Equinox for a cruise after it is revamped, during a Go Best promotion.

We paid less per day than our upcoming Grandeur cruise, and have a better cabin.

Will have to see how prices get adjusted.

Past Reviews post 184

7 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I wonder how long it will be until the grat on each drink rises to 20% when you don't have a package.

This is not an April Fool. The 'service charge' (gratuity) per drink on Celebrity is now 20%. It came in without prior notice on 29th March in the UK.

From the UK website:

"A standard service charge of 20% is automatically added to the price of drinks and 15% is added for beauty treatments." 

I expected some kind of prior notice for those with cruises booked to boost the sales of pre purchased drink packages, but it didn't happen. So possibly the same will happen on RCI.

12 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

18 was already generous IMO.  What is their justification for 20%?  Honestly curious.

Dan

Especially for bar service - yes a great bartender makes a difference but most of us tip those good ones additionally!  So when you're just paying a tip on top of straight higher-priced ingredients it feels more grabby - I order vodka and water with lime - so not complicated 🙂  20% to uncap a beer you've grabbed out of a chiller?  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ShillyShally said:

Especially for bar service - yes a great bartender makes a difference but most of us tip those good ones additionally!  So when you're just paying a tip on top of straight higher-priced ingredients it feels more grabby - I order vodka and water with lime - so not complicated 🙂  20% to uncap a beer you've grabbed out of a chiller?  

Exactly.

Dan

35 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

18 was already generous IMO.  What is their justification for 20%?  Honestly curious.

Dan

The only justification they need is the fact that people will still pay the fee.

• Like 2

Option 1:  Give bartenders a raise and offset impact on p&l by raising fares

Option 2:  Increase service charge from 18% to 20% and pass money on to bartenders

Option 3:  Increase service charge, pass nothing on to bartenders and pocket the higher income. 

1 hour ago, laslomas said:

From the UK website:

"A standard service charge of 20% is automatically added to the price of drinks and 15% is added for beauty treatments." 

I guess this means they do a better job getting someone drunk than making them beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Luckily my Jan 2020 cruise on Celebrity has premium drink package and pre paid tips included.     Looking forward to compare and contrast the Lines. 

Mine too. We kept looking for another Go Best promotion, for someone who decided late and wanted to join us. Guess there will not be one.

Prices with 2 perks have been more than the 4 we got.

Past Reviews post 184