How did NCL change my room without notifying me?

mandygar2003

I’m on the Breakaway this coming Sunday. I’ve got an interior room with the drink package perk and paid extra for 3 day specialty dining. Since prices are dropping, I called NCL Monday to see if I could upgrade to a room with 2 perks and maybe save a little money. She said yes I could and it would only be a $6 difference to move to an oceanview but would be on deck 5. We both agreed that I’d rather keep my deck 9 room and so I said no thanks and that was that. 

Yesterday I get an email inviting me  to bid on an upgrade from my new room on deck 5. Directly under Taste. I called back and after they listened to my Monday call they saw I didn’t agree to the changes and moved me to an interior deck 12. So all in all, it worked out. 

The thing is, I never got a confirmation email about switching rooms to deck 5. Never got a charge on my account. If I hadn’t gotten the upgrade invite I would’ve never known. All of my e-docs and luggage tags were already printed and ready to go. So how did they do all this switching around without ever notifying me? I’ve gotten an email for every little thing I’ve changed. Sorry that this is long but I’m kinda new to cruising and definitely new to NCL. 

Did your new room on five have all the perks you originally booked with?

If so, you may have received a visit from the upgrade fairy.  The fairy will upgrade your cabin at no cost  to you and you would not have found out until check in.

When cruise lines are doing final cabin assignments and placing all the guaranteed reservations, they will often upgrade passengers who paid a higher fare to open cabins for the guarantees. The upgraded passengers find out at check in. 

The problem comes in when the upgrade may not be the passenger's  idea of a desired location or cabin type.

Hmm you could be right but that wasn’t what I was told on the phone yesterday. She told me the customer service lady accidentally saved my Monday mock booking as a reservation. I’m a really go with the flow kinda person but a quiet room is a must have for me. Told her yesterday she could put me anywhere on the ship so long as it had cabins above and below. I’m happy with where I ended up so it’s no big deal now. Was just curious about what happened. 

Yes when they upgraded me to oceanview I still had my drink perk and SDP. 

Thanks for the possible explanation! 

As I have been upgraded a few times and those upgrades have been to locations I would never chose, I now ask to have my reservation marked "no upgrades." 

It doesn't mean that the cruise line couldn't move me if the was some necessity, but it prevents the random upgrades that happen when the ship is moving cabins around for the assignment of guarantee cabins.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

As I have been upgraded a few times and those upgrades have been to locations I would never chose, I now ask to have my reservation marked "no upgrades." 

It doesn't mean that the cruise line couldn't move me if the was some necessity, but it prevents the random upgrades that happen when the ship is moving cabins around for the assignment of guarantee cabins.

Ok thanks for the suggestion!