Cave Tubing with Major Tom & Elvis!

AnnieB_cruizin

We just returned from RCCL Legend and a highlight was cave tubing in Belize! We booked this tour independently with Major Tom ***** of Belize cave tubing (all one word) dot net and it was definitely a winner. We were met as soon as we stepped onshore from the tender by Major Tom, with a sign with our name. He handed us over to his assistant, Elvis, who took us to the van while Tom collected another group. Elvis was an engaging young Creole man, and when Tom returned with the other 4 people, we set out in the van for about an hour drive out of town and into the rainforest, and Elvis gave us an informative and entertaining history and overview of Belize with lots of comments and pictures. We stopped and picked up Mark, who accompanies them (safety coordinator), so it was 8 guests and 3 guides! When you turn off the main road, it is about 5 miles in on bumpy dirt road to the park where you get tubes and vests and lamps to begin. There were bathrooms and cold showers, and some vendors and a small restaurant. We hiked in about a mile, but it was fairly level, and Tom and Elvis told us about some of the native flora and fauna. The river water was "shockingly refreshing" but not unpleasant. Elvis took hold of DD and watched her the entire trip. He also took hold of our camera and got way more pictures than I ever would have of all of us. The caves and crystals were amazing. This tour was great! And as I watched other groups of 30 zoom by as we stopped and got out and looked up close at things, I knew we made the right decision not to do the cruise ship's tour. (And they paid more!!!) When we concluded, we walked back to the park and had a delicious meal. There was a wonderful grilled and seasoned chicken, a pasta salad, rice and beans, a garlic toast, delicious fresh salsa on the table, and a fruit punch. Then they came out with these fabulous cupcake/muffins that were banana and spice and topped with like a caramel or condensed milk topping. This was included with the tour ($53 for adults and $35 for DD). We tipped the girls in the restaurant, and tipped our guides for the great service. From one of the vendors, I bought a pair of earrings with handmade clay beads and DD bought a carved bamboo drum, handpainted with a toucan (the national bird). I highly recommend this tour!! On the return trip, Tom offered to stop at the zoo for a tour as there was time, but we were all sleepy and wet. Note: we did not bring clothes to change into, which we should have, as it was cool in the wind after the river tour. When we were dropped off, we poked in shops a little, but nothing was too exciting, and we grabbed a cold Belikin beer (beer of Belize!) for the tender ride back. I highly recommend this experience, and think that you are in good hands with Major Tom and Elvis.

AnnieB this is GREAT to hear as we are set to tube with Major Tom in Two weeks. We have one "non tuber" who is going to sit and wiat for us, is the resturant ok for that? Or is there plenty of shade and people watching to do outside for her?

We cant wait!!!!!

AnnieB this is GREAT to hear as we are set to tube with Major Tom in Two weeks. We have one "non tuber" who is going to sit and wiat for us, is the resturant ok for that? Or is there plenty of shade and people watching to do outside for her?

We cant wait!!!!!

What did he charge for the "non tuber' as I would like to accompany my 2 granddaughters?

tonyt

Wow, that was a great review. You made me feel like part of your trip. I am booked with Major Tom ***** with my family of 6 on an April 10 cave tube tour. I was tempted by Coral Breeze and others but the feedback from those that go on this tour is so positive. I am so much looking forward to this trip. Thanks again for an excellent review!!!

What did he charge for the "non tuber' as I would like to accompany my 2 granddaughters?

tonyt

Tonyt, we didnt ask if pricing was differant as we felt that the $53 was still worth it as that covered the transportation, Island info an lunch. Not bad for a days worth of Island beauty.:)

Hi Susan, this site doesn't let you give weblinks, so that is why I tried to spell it out. basically, you type the following, all as one word:

b e l i z e c a v e t u b i n g . n e t and that should take you to the site for ***** Adventures.

As far as sets of caves, I guess it was 2 "sets" but we got to tuck into coves and stop and get out and look up close at the crystals and formations, while many tours sailed by, and the main set is long, with an opening midway that the sun shines in on. It's mystical!

We did this tour with Maj. Tom ***** and Elvis and had a GREAT time. Both Tom & Elvis were great tour guides. Tom is pretty much responsible for bringing the cruise ships to Belize. His knowledge of the area is second to none. I would recommend this trip to anyone going to Belize. We had a wonderful day and the food at the little restaurant was incredible.

Also, we had 2 pregnant women in our group of 6. Elvis looked after them the whole trip and would not let them out of his sight. He also helped us carry the tubes to the area where we dropped in the river. Elvis pretty much made me enjoy the tubing while he helped out with the pregnant wives. I was very grateful for his help since it let me enjoy the trip instead of worrying where my wife was every second. They took great care of us.

Also, the big tours were going by us making a ton of noise. Major Tom would slow down and let them pass so we could hear what he was saying and took us to an area with some waterfalls inside the cave that no one else seemed to go to.

Overall, it was a great day and I would recommend them without hesitation. The whole day was $53 USD. $43 to Maj. Tom. $5 to get into the park and $5 for the lunch.

You will enjoy this trip.

Hi-

My cousin and I are cruising with our mothers in March. We stop in Belize and after reading through this board, I am sold on Maj. Tom and Elvis!

My concern is that our mothers are women in their 50s, smokers both and lead somewhat sedentary home lives (though they can get very spirited at times! :D )

How physically taxing is the hiking part of this excursion? I would especially love to hear from anyone around the same age range and how the trip was for them.

Thank you!

Felicia

Thibeaux:

Okay, I'll admit it. When it comes to age I probably have your mothers beat (I'm hitting the next decade in March.) I do not smoke, but I have a desk job and do not get a lot of excercise.

My DD and I went cave tubing last August with a Carnival excusion since she won it aboard ship and I had no problem with the walk. In fact, I was one of the first of the 50 or so people from our bus to arrive at the spot where you go in the water.

I'm looking forward to going back again, this time with a private vendor so I dam not tubing with 200 other people.

The walk isn't bad. Elvis would probably help carry the tubes as he did with our pregnant women. We did stop a few times for Maj. Tom to show us different things. It's a pretty easy trip and if you ask Elvis and Tom to help out they will gladly oblige.

We paid in person. No CC's to hold or anything.

Archived