Have you traveled with 4 adults in one room?

Peckishpixie

1 hour ago, J4NEC said:

If my in laws booked one room for us and them I would think it was downright weird, I couldn’t bear to sleep in the same small room with them!   Maybe you are very close though.

But on a practical level, how are  you going to manage the one bathroom and lack of circulation space.  I agree it could be a laugh but maybe for one night camping! 

We sleep 4 to one hotel room (2 queens)  a couple times a year no problem. I can't imagine why you would think it was weird. It isn't a romantic get away. Its a family vacation. We have 355 other days a year to be alone why would I travel around the world with my son to not be with him? My only concern is literally the size of the state room on a ship, not the intimacy of my relationship with my son

22 minutes ago, Peckishpixie said:

We sleep 4 to one hotel room (2 queens)  a couple times a year no problem. I can't imagine why you would think it was weird. It isn't a romantic get away. Its a family vacation. We have 355 other days a year to be alone why would I travel around the world with my son to not be with him? My only concern is literally the size of the state room on a ship, not the intimacy of my relationship with my son

i thought the verandah cabin was incredibly tight for me, wife, and 8yo son. Cant even being to imagine four adults in that cabin... 

• Like 2

I've done a signature suite with four people and it wasn't ideal. Although a larger room, the privacy aspect and bathroom availability was a hassle. Still had a great cruise. 

Edited by cwd79

56 minutes ago, Peckishpixie said:

The post to which you're responding is talking about the in-law aspect & not the relationship with your own son.  You left this info out of your original post, so how is anyone supposed to know that you've all done it before?  No one has familiarity with your relationship to your son's partner, either.  

Absent the knowledge that you've stayed together in one room before, I think a lot of us had the same immediate thought: if my partner's family wanted me to sleep in the same room with them for an entire cruise, would I?  The answer is a resounding "no" for me.  We've traveled together before but always with separate accommodations, so why start now?  I certainly wouldn't want to end up getting on their nerves with my own habits, either (including snoring).

Bottom line is that 4 adults in any of these staterooms is doable but not advisable if you can afford a second room.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

The post to which you're responding is talking about the in-law aspect & not the relationship with your own son.  You left this info out of your original post, so how is anyone supposed to know that you've all done it before?  No one has familiarity with your relationship to your son's partner, either.  

Absent the knowledge that you've stayed together in one room before, I think a lot of us had the same immediate thought: if my partner's family wanted me to sleep in the same room with them for an entire cruise, would I?  The answer is a resounding "no" for me.  We've traveled together before but always with separate accommodations, so why start now?  I certainly wouldn't want to end up getting on their nerves with my own habits, either (including snoring).

Bottom line is that 4 adults in any of these staterooms is doable but not advisable if you can afford a second room.

This. Dh and I love our respective in laws but we would not stay in the same cabin with them. No way. And thankfully they feels the same way. We have had great family vacations together with separate hotel rooms. We had a great family cruise.... with separate cabins. 

• Like 4

Exactly what bEwAbG stated.  Of course we traveled as family with our children on ships and in hotels.  We adapt.  But when you invite a non family member into that space the dynamics change, or should, to be respectful.

To be honest, you couldn’t pay me to be on the ship as my MIL, no less the same cabin. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We have done it with another couple who are great friends in a Neptune and a Pinnacle on 7 day cruises. It was a little tight in the Neptune but not a problem at all in the Pinnacle. We basically just slept in the cabin or were hanging out on the veranda. Everyone getting ready for dinner had to be planned out for sure.

I think it's good to get two rooms.  I hear those sofa beds are hard on the back. 

My parents booked us on a Panama Canal for their fiftyth, and they arranged it so we had two people in each mini-suite.

We've done Concierge Class on Celebrity (balcony w/ benefits) and found it cramped for two people.  

Signature suites have two sinks, so that's a plus, but I think a signature suite would cost more than two verandas.

If you're doing Alaska, it's a good idea to have a balcony, so you're not competing at outer deck space during scenic cruise day.   We've taken to getting room service for breakfast on scenic cruising days.

I am having a real hard time with the nature of some of these comments. You are criticizing me for being kind enough to pay for my sons vacations and invite his partners to go with us. I'm not being "disrespectful" to invite her to join us on my dime. I guess if she doesnt want to share a hotel room with her in law she could always not come. If I invite my son he can bring a friend or partner and I'm not some kind of monster because I cant always afford a second room 

Sorry if you are offended by my saying I would find it weird if my in laws wanted us to share a room with them.  It’s nice that you’re all so close, and probably more of an indication of my relationship with my in laws that it gives me the shivers!  

• Like 1

Who is criticizing you, exactly?  You asked for opinions and people are sharing them based on the situation you've presented.  I'm truly at a loss to figure out what has been said that could be considered remotely offensive.  That dynamics change when you invite a non-family member into the situation?  That's not a value judgement.  If whoever you invite is ok with the arrangement, that's on them.  You asked if you should get two rooms instead, to which most people said "yes" and offered several reasons why.

• Like 3

On 4/8/2019 at 9:20 AM, JOHN 57 said:

Due to the price, we decided to go for 4 in our cabin, ages 68, 58, 34, 32.  We are traveling with our sons, and going to Alaska on the Volendam out of Vancouver 18-25 Sep.

Remember..you can always get more money  you can not get more time... The "Experience" of 4 in a cabin designed for 2 will  most probably effect  everyone's experience of Alaska and not in a good way...... You only go to Alaska for the first time 1 time... dont make it  the trip from hell.....    Please listen to the others  here that are also  pleading with you to reconsider this  destructive decision........

6 hours ago, Peckishpixie said:

Hotel rooms, even in Motel 6 are like 300-350 sq ft.... and the bath rooms are  twice the size of a ships. !      The cabins on the ship are going to be Half the size...165- 185  sq  ft.... Just finding closet and storage space will be a real challenge. for you.      Sleeping in a hotel room with 2 queens for a few days is  VERY different  from from 1 queen and 2 single bunks for  over a week.  And  are you really considering  this for a around the world cruise !!!   Have  you asked your son what he thinks?

1 hour ago, Peckishpixie said:

I am having a real hard time with the nature of some of these comments. You are criticizing me for being kind enough to pay for my sons vacations and invite his partners to go with us. I'm not being "disrespectful" to invite her to join us on my dime. I guess if she doesnt want to share a hotel room with her in law she could always not come. If I invite my son he can bring a friend or partner and I'm not some kind of monster because I cant always afford a second room 

I understand your kind heart.... I do.    I understand wanting to share with  your son and  another.     That is wonderful that you want  this to be a wonderful "family" bonding experience..   

What I and others are trying to communicate is that what your trying to do is not compatible with the  how your  going to  do it.  As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.....   Many of us have personal  experience and seen  the results of trying to do too much  with too little.       Finances, If tight can pressure  a person to make compromises that are not  going to be productive.

I suspect you have not recently sailed on a HAL ship  cabin and are assuming  that they would not let a person book 4 in a room is it were not  wonderful.         That is a serious  mis conception.      HAL  will try to cram or book as many people as possible on in as many cabins as possible for the profit it makes them.      

So, do not take this as a criticism....it is a honest and sincere desire for you and your family/to have the best experience by providing you with honest information and  the experiences of many many others .    We all are  hoping you  understand our concern  for your enjoyment and experience..  thats all  we offer.        Please do not shoot the messengers who bring you honesty and sincerity.        

• Like 1

I know it's just me, but I can't imagine sharing a room with my father when I was 20.  Economics aside, Id be getting a separate room, trying for the lowest priced one.  (Sorry, I forgot to quote the poster who mentioned having a room with his wife and two daughters, not the OP.)

Edited by ithaca gal
Clarification
  • Like 1

I stayed in a quad cabin last summer with my mom, my brother, and my nephew. We are a really tall family. We were a little nervous about having a quad room because of all of the people on this board saying how awful it is to have four people to a room. It ended up working great for us. We didn't feel cramped, and we enjoyed spending time together. People don't generally spend that much time in their cabin on a cruise anyway. We will be cruising again in a quad cabin this summer, and I don't think any of us are worried about the space. I guess it just depends how your relationship is with the other people in the cabin.

• Thanks 1