Juneau - how long to drive to end of the road?

~*Lou*~

We are cruise ships passenger in port of Juneau for one day in June. We're renting a car and will visit Mendenhall Glacier first. After that we wondered if we have time to drive to the end of the road and back, or just go as far as St Therese or Eagle Beach? We have 2 children and don't want to spend all day in the car, just to say we got to the end of the road, we want to be able to stretch our legs and have a good look round too.

many thanks 

Lou 

We've done it, and it's not that far beyond the other places you plan to visit, but there is nothing to see there, so the children would likely find it boring.  My profile photo is from the end of the road in Juneau.

We did rental car to Mendenhall, then Eagle Point Beach, and stopped at DIPAC Salmon Hatchery on our way back in to Juneau last summer. Our kids were 10, 10 and 7. They liked the ability to explore each place. We thought Eagle Point Beach was quite pretty, even in the foggy, drizzly weather we had, and the kids enjoyed climbing around on a bunch of downed tree trunks.

I've rented a car twice while on a Juneau port day. I think it's a great way to get around.  Both times we've gone to Mendenhall Glacier (plenty of free parking plus a minimal entry fee) but this last time we drove out to St. Therese too.  I looked on Google Maps and from there it's another 25 minutes to the end of the road and you'll pass Eagle Beach too. I would think the three kids would enjoy getting to roam around at any of these places and be off the ship for awhile. At St. Therese is a labyrinth that the kids would probably find cool to walk - that should occupy them for a bit.  I would recommend a walk to Nugget Falls at Mendenhall.  Something we also did was eat dinner at the Gold Creek Salmon Bake.  I've heard there's a kiosk at the dock where you can pay for that but we weren't able to find it.  The location is on the way out to St. Therese & Mendenhall so we stopped and paid there - we were able to come back by on our way to downtown and have dinner.  There isn't much parking but most everyone comes on their shuttle so it isn't an issue - there was only the employee's cars when we were there.  Good luck!

IMG_5121.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG