Need KETO/ LowCarb advise

Chrism740

I have been strictly following KETO since Jan. 1st.  I am down 30 pounds with 100 to go.  My vacation starts in 10 days.  I save for a year to take a 7-day cruise and it does include the drink package so I have already planned to cheat (I have to get my money's worth mentality).  With that being said.. I love frozen drinks and sweets/any deserts.  I am prepared to have a gain and get right back to it!  Looking for advise or motivation to maybe gain less that I usually would.  An average gain for me after a cruise is 12 pounds, and that's not eating like a pig either.  I salute the rest of you that can go on a cruise and not gain!!

Thanks to all you reply!

Christine

Great job @Chrism740!! I think your gut will stop you from gaining too much. Cheating on keto is simply ingesting a lot more carbs than you would normally. There’s no hard and fast rule but somewhere in the realm of 50g – 100g/day would likely break your ketosis. If you do this across multiple days, you'll likely have to start keto from the very beginning. Side effects can be bloating, stomach upset, gas, acne, weight gain, increased hunger and cravings. I am usually soo uncomfortable that I can't continue to eat/drink the sugary stuff.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1

I went on a 10 day cruise while on Keto and I started out ignoring all bread, morning, noon & dinner time.  That lasted about 6 days and then I tried a cinnamon roll.  I just had to have it.  The array of baked breads and muffins on the Lido buffet was just too enticing.  Eventually I had one roll at dinner.  We ate Italian one night and I had the linguine and clams and gelato, along with tiramisu.  I really overdid it and later that night was really sick with intense upset stomach.  Was it something I ate or was it the sugar?  I tend to think it was the sugar.  That was probably the extent of my binging and I did have an occasional low carb drink. However, in the end I gained 5 pounds.  My point is you have to test the water.  A little cheating in moderation to see how your body reacts.  I know a lady friend who was on Keto for a long time who decided to splurge at a luncheon.  She was eating at a Mexican restaurant and had a coke, margarita, lots of chips and salsa and fajitas with all the trimmings.  She got up to go to the restroom and fainted.  I believe it was the shock to her system.

I have a 14 day cruise coming up in June.  I am trying to loose before I go and hopefully will get lots of exercise.  I hope you are successful on your trip and if you gain 5 or so pounds it will come off fast.  I know I lost the extra weight pretty quickly.