Trans Pass?

andrew2346

Hi,

We will be spending two full days in Bermuda (family of 6- 17, 16, 13, 10) taking bus, ferry etc.  I am guessing we should purchase a Trans pass for 2 days?  Is this a wrist band?  My two older children will want to explore on their own.  Will they be allowed to ride public transport unaccompanied under 18?  

Thanks!

56 minutes ago, andrew2346 said:

Hi,

We will be spending two full days in Bermuda (family of 6- 17, 16, 13, 10) taking bus, ferry etc.  I am guessing we should purchase a Trans pass for 2 days?  Is this a wrist band?  My two older children will want to explore on their own.  Will they be allowed to ride public transport unaccompanied under 18?  

Thanks!

You need to do the math to determine if you're going to be using the buses and ferries enough to make passes less expensive than buying tokens. Adult two day passes cost $31.50 each...your 16 and 17 year olds need adult passes. Passes for your two younger children will cost $16 each. What are called 14 zone tokens that can be used on all ferry and bus routes cost $4.75 each for adults and $2.75 each for your two younger children. Tokens are good for one ride so a round trip on the ferry or  bus requires two tokens per person, one for each trip. Sometimes I'll buy a pass instead of tokens if I'm not sure how much I'm actually going to use public transit just for convenience even if it ends up costing a couple of dollars more than buying tokens would have.

The passes are about the size of a credit card. they're not wrist bands or any type of electronic device. The first time you use them they'll be punched with the date and subsequently you just show them to the bus driver or ferry crew .

Your two older children can travel on their own. Most Bermudians are very polite and I suggest they (and you) say "good morning" or "good afternoon" to bus drivers and ferry crew when boarding. I also recommend staying away from the buses during weekday morning and evening rush hours as service has been cut back and the residents of Bermuda need to use the buses to get to and from work.

Edited by njhorseman

35 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

What are called 14 zone tokens that can be used on all ferry and bus routes cost $4.75 each for adults and $2.75 each for your two younger children.

Correcting your typo. The 14 zone tokens are $4.50 each for adults. 

Thank you to you both.  If I may pick your brains further.  My husband and I have been to Bermuda a few times but first time to bring the kids.  It seems that only 1 day will be fair enough weather wise to really hit the island all out so this is what we plan to do.  Maybe you can help me figure it out.  I would like to take the kids to climb Gibbs light house,  go to Horseshoe Bay and then wind our way around to all of those coves.  I have never actually done that and would like some advice on that.  It won't be warm enough to swim.  We will be there this week on Monday and Tuesday. I also want to hit the Swizzle for a meal and punch.   I feel like we could do more than that and would appreciate your thoughts.  

The bus fare page on the Govt of Bermuda site contradicts itself for the child fare. On the top figure it shows child fares for 5-16 years old but further down it shows 5-15.

Another option if you are going through Hamilton is to buy ticket books, they don't sell them at the port. It really all depends on what you want to do and how many stops you plan to make.

Bermuda transportation fares

The bus fare page on the Govt of Bermuda site contradicts itself for the child fare. On the top figure it shows child fares for 5-16 years old but further down it shows 5-15.

Another option if you are going through Hamilton is to buy ticket books, they don't sell them at the port. It really all depends on what you want to do and how many stops you plan to make.

Bermuda transportation fares

The separate ferry service schedule and the separate bus service schedule say child fare ages are 5-15.

15 hours ago, andrew2346 said:

Thank you to you both.  If I may pick your brains further.  My husband and I have been to Bermuda a few times but first time to bring the kids.  It seems that only 1 day will be fair enough weather wise to really hit the island all out so this is what we plan to do.  Maybe you can help me figure it out.  I would like to take the kids to climb Gibbs light house,  go to Horseshoe Bay and then wind our way around to all of those coves.  I have never actually done that and would like some advice on that.  It won't be warm enough to swim.  We will be there this week on Monday and Tuesday. I also want to hit the Swizzle for a meal and punch.   I feel like we could do more than that and would appreciate your thoughts.  

First, don't pay too much attention to any forecast for rain. As long as a major storm isn't moving through very often it only rains for a brief time and if you bring ponchos or umbrellas you can protect yourself against those without having to spend a day indoors. Right now the forecast on weather.bm for Monday calls for a mix of sun and clouds and Tuesday mostly cloudy, showers. The Tuesday forecast says to me that the day won't be a total washout.

I would do your lighthouse/beach walk/Swizzle Inn (using the new Swizzle Inn on South Road) on one day and perhaps a ferry to St. George and a walk around that town on the other. If you want to go to the original Swizzle Inn then you could combine it with  the St. George day rather than going to the new location on your beach walk/lighthouse day.)

• Like 1

not a reply, as indicated, but another question....  if we were to purchase the 15 ticket book (I guess for the 14 zone area), can different people in the party use the same ticket book?   In other words, can we tear out a ticket for each user from the same book of tickets, or does the entire ticket book have to be used by the same person. thanks in advance

7 hours ago, WFHFLOYD said:

not a reply, as indicated, but another question....  if we were to purchase the 15 ticket book (I guess for the 14 zone area), can different people in the party use the same ticket book?   In other words, can we tear out a ticket for each user from the same book of tickets, or does the entire ticket book have to be used by the same person. thanks in advance

You can only purchase the ticket booklets in Hamiltion or St. George's.  You can tear out the tickets and use them for different people. The entire book does not have to be used by the same person.