Getting away on Getaway!

Blitzburggirl

Hi all!

I'm antsy! I can't wait. I'm counting minutes. And I'm soooooo excited! I haven't cruised since 2016 and it shows!

We sail out of NY on the Getaway- TOMORROW! YAY! Down the the minute on packing. So I wanted to check a few things (never been on NCL)

Are there toiletry dispensers in the showers? I'll bring my own.. but I am traveling with 3 guys (2 balcony cabins) and don't want to pack for 3 people that can be happy with whatever comes out of the dispenser (Carnival does this on some ships.)

Will they remove the mini bar and associated tempting things from a cabin (there will be two teen boys in one of the cabins.)

We chose 12:30-1 as our check in window. I've never been to Port of New York. I've been to Miami and Port Canaveral quite a few times. Typically drive up, drop big bags, park car and walk back across and enter line. Even the Carnival Faster to the Fun resulted in a long time sitting in a room waiting to get on the ship after check in. How does this work for Norwegian at PONY?

I've read (here) to refill water bottles (we are massive water drinkers) in the gym. Anyone have other fantastic advice?

Thank you so much!

Tess

OH! I also forgot to ask...

Because everyone loves a good beverage package question! 😂

Since we'll effectively be sailing down the east coast.. how does that work? On Carnival in US waters there were some random things.. like beverage package didn't take effect til some specific time, certain beers couldn't be served til in international waters, tax charges while in US waters. I'm guessing we'll arc far enough out to not be in US waters long.. (anyone know how long?!)

If I order a d*mn beer for sail away, do I pay full price plus tip? Even with the bev package?

Why must things be so difficult lol

So exciting for you!!! I still have 30 days until my escape in the Escape 🙂 I'll answer some questions:

there are toiletries in the shower - body soap & shampoo only, no conditioner

they will definitely remove the mini bar, just ask your room steward when you see them (or call them & ask)

the check in time you pick is a "suggestion" they don't hold you to it so if you want to go earlier you can, but if you do keep your time, by then you should be able to check in & walk on (as long as the previous cruise was on time) it can be busy at PONY especially with the bigger ships, but a after check in (at that time) should be no more waiting, get on & enjoy 

Package starts as soon as you board, only thing is while in NY waters you need to pay the tax (think it comes out to not even a dollar for a beer)

Have a great time!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

The showers do have shampoo and bodywash dispensers so no need to bring any for the boys unless they prefer to. 

We have sailed from New York three times, twice on NCL, once on Carnival. We arrived around 11:00am all three times. We checked in and waited 30 minutes to an hour to board, no problem. NCL assigns times on the boarding pass but they don't actually mean anything. You can arrive when you like, not one checks.

Parking is very expensive at the port. We paid around $300 for a seven day cruise in June 2017. It is very convenient. The parking is on the roof of the terminal so you just take the elevator down. It's a very large elevator so luggage is no problem.

The drink package begins when you board. You will pay local sales tax on drinks until the ship leaves New York waters but it's less than a $1 per drink.

Have Fun!

We have sailed out of NYC several times and it has been a breeze. We don't park at the terminal but park at Park Right which is right down the street and substantially cheaper. We paid $210 a couple of years ago, for the week, with an oversized SUV.   It is so easy. You just need to bring your car there and they will drive you to the terminal (which is in walking distance). I am pretty sure we always made advanced reservations. Here's their web page for reservations: https://parkright.com/reservations.shtml

Have fun!