Private driver for hire for the day

Tommy2tone

Ginal..... could you tell us what companies you checked with.  I am finding with our party of 4 that $40 an hour per person may not be too bad as we have a few specific things we want to do....and can not find any company that will provide them in the 5 hour (approximate) time window we have there.

Thank you

Edited by Buck1949

We just returned from our cruise to Grand Cayman.  It's a beautiful island with something for everyone, so you're sure to enjoy whatever you decide to do.

My husband and I did a private all day tour through Jackie's Historical Land Tours.  Our driver was Graham and he was very good - pleasant personality, didn't rush you along, and had good suggestions for additional places to see since we had extra time.  For the two of us, 5.5 hrs. it cost $420 (cash only).  Sounds like a lot, but we saw everything at our own pace and the tour was tailored specifically for us.

As you're pricing tours, one thing that you won't realize until you are on Grand Cayman is the price of gas.  It is about $6.00 US per gallon - even worse than what we pay in California.  Also, since it is a British territory, wages are closer to "western wages" than on some other islands.  So when you consider those things, an hourly rate of $40+ makes more sense.

Jackie's Historical Land Tours website - http://jackieshistoricallandtours.com/

Enjoy the trip!

Cyndy

Firstin87

53 minutes ago, Firstin87 said:

We just returned from our cruise to Grand Cayman.  It's a beautiful island with something for everyone, so you're sure to enjoy whatever you decide to do.

My husband and I did a private all day tour through Jackie's Historical Land Tours.  Our driver was Graham and he was very good - pleasant personality, didn't rush you along, and had good suggestions for additional places to see since we had extra time.  For the two of us, 5.5 hrs. it cost $420 (cash only).  Sounds like a lot, but we saw everything at our own pace and the tour was tailored specifically for us.

As you're pricing tours, one thing that you won't realize until you are on Grand Cayman is the price of gas.  It is about $6.00 US per gallon - even worse than what we pay in California.  Also, since it is a British territory, wages are closer to "western wages" than on some other islands.  So when you consider those things, an hourly rate of $40+ makes more sense.

Jackie's Historical Land Tours website - http://jackieshistoricallandtours.com/

Enjoy the trip!

Cyndy

Firstin87

Cyndy - I am glad you posted. We arrive via NCL  at 11:00 am and leave at 6 pm.  I have been in personal contact with Jackie over the last week trying to coordinate the things we want to do but are not having much luck. (Stingray swim, HELL Post Office, Turtle Farm or Rum Cake liquor store). Jackie does not do the Stingray swim but was willing to help set that up.  Due to the short hours and tendering it looks like we may be forced to use the ships tours (IF they would ever post their offerings online soon). 

That brings me to ask ask the question..... are there a lot of ‘private vendors’ at the pier that we may be able to do the Stingray swim as soon as we get there (CAPT Marvin’s 1st available is 1:45 pm)..... then try to do other things as time allows afterward?  

Thanks for any ideas !

@Buck1949  There are tons of Stingray City tours, the best ones will be booked up in advance, but there are almost always some available at the port day-of unless it's a heavy day for ships or a major holiday.

A land-based tour operator or private driver will not do a Stingray City tour themselves, since that has to be done by boat and not car.

If what you're looking for is a stingrays/turtle farm combination, there are many operators that offer that combo, including the usual cruise-run excursions.  Try google - https://www.google.com/search?q=cayman+stingray+city+tours+with+turtle+farm&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA751CA751&oq=cayman+stingray+city+tours+with+turtle+farm&aqs=chrome..69i57.9617j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 - for numerous reviews and suggestions.

Hell is a tiny gift shop and rock formation near the turtle farm, so many operators will throw it in as a stop but it's pretty meh.

The rum cake store/factory is also pretty meh.  It's a store selling rum cakes with a window into the bakery where you can sometimes see people baking.  There's a couple of stores right at the port that sell rum cakes and that usually give out samples to try, or you can buy them on the ship.

I wouldn't necessarily book a private driver to do any of the things you've mentioned.  It's a lot of expense for very little benefit.  Book a Stingray City/Turtle Farm combo tour through one of the operators, get dropped off at Hell or the beach after and then take a taxi back to the port.  Much easier and cheaper.  The private drivers are really more useful and worthwhile if you want an extensive land-based tour that includes other parts of the island like East End.

2 hours ago, bookbabe said:

@Buck1949  There are tons of Stingray City tours, the best ones will be booked up in advance, but there are almost always some available at the port day-of unless it's a heavy day for ships or a major holiday.

Try google - https://www.google.com/search?q=cayman+stingray+city+tours+with+turtle+farm&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA751CA751&oq=cayman+stingray+city+tours+with+turtle+farm&aqs=chrome..69i57.9617j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 - for numerous reviews and suggestions. Book a Stingray City/Turtle Farm combo tour through one of the operators, get dropped off at Hell or the beach after and then take a taxi back to the port.  Much easier and cheaper.  The private drivers are really more useful and worthwhile if you want an extensive land-based tour that includes other parts of the island like East End.

Thanks for the information and suggestions.  ( did look at the Google options you mentioned). At this point I think we may just wait until NCL decides to post their excursions - which they say will be out by summer - and weigh all of the options . The short stop here is driving us crazy ! 

Thanks again !

Thanks once again. 

On 4/25/2019 at 7:59 AM, bookbabe said:

A land-based tour operator or private driver will not do a Stingray City tour themselves, since that has to be done by boat and not car.

If what you're looking for is a stingrays/turtle farm combination, there are many operators that offer that combo, including the usual cruise-run excursions.  Try google - https://www.google.com/search?q=cayman+stingray+city+tours+with+turtle+farm&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA751CA751&oq=cayman+stingray+city+tours+with+turtle+farm&aqs=chrome..69i57.9617j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 - for numerous reviews and suggestions.

Hell is a tiny gift shop and rock formation near the turtle farm, so many operators will throw it in as a stop but it's pretty meh.

The rum cake store/factory is also pretty meh.  It's a store selling rum cakes with a window into the bakery where you can sometimes see people baking.  There's a couple of stores right at the port that sell rum cakes and that usually give out samples to try, or you can buy them on the ship.

I wouldn't necessarily book a private driver to do any of the things you've mentioned.  It's a lot of expense for very little benefit.  Book a Stingray City/Turtle Farm combo tour through one of the operators, get dropped off at Hell or the beach after and then take a taxi back to the port.  Much easier and cheaper.  The private drivers are really more useful and worthwhile if you want an extensive land-based tour that includes other parts of the island like East End.

I'm sorry to reply so late.  Very hectic first week home.

I concur with most of what Bookbabe wrote.  The challenge you have is the stingray excursions.  It will take up most of your time on Grand Cayman, so it comes down to your priorities.  This is definitely an island that would be great to have an overnight at.

Because we had our tour pre-arranged, we did not pay much attention to the specific vendors that were at the port.  The day we were there, five ships were in port, which is not uncommon so keep that in mind as you plan.  I'd definitely pre-book your day or you may end up not being able to do any of the things you want, and certainly not at an affordable price.

To add to Bookbabe's comments - you'll need only about 15 minutes to see Hell.  More time is spent in the gift shop than looking at the cool rock formation as it is not very big.  If you do want something postmarked "Hell" from the post office, they only accept exact change and I'm not sure what the postage is, but I'm sure you can look it up online.

We originally had the Tortuga Rum Cake factory on our list, but ended up skipping it in favor of spending more time at other sites.  I don't think we missed anything.  If you want to buy rum cakes to bring back, they are sold absolutely everywhere.  We bought a six pack of small rum cakes (4 oz. each) for $32.00 (US) made by BlackBeard's (not Tortuga) at a store near the port called, I think, "Premium Souvenirs".  Tortuga's rum cakes are a bit more expensive.

Hopefully you find a good combo tour that works for you.  When do you go?

Cyndy

Firstin87

45 minutes ago, Firstin87 said:

I'm sorry to reply so late.  Very hectic first week home.

I concur with most of what Bookbabe wrote.  The challenge you have is the stingray excursions.  It will take up most of your time on Grand Cayman, so it comes down to your priorities.  This is definitely an island that would be great to have an overnight at.

Because we had our tour pre-arranged, we did not pay much attention to the specific vendors that were at the port.  The day we were there, five ships were in port, which is not uncommon so keep that in mind as you plan.  I'd definitely pre-book your day or you may end up not being able to do any of the things you want, and certainly not at an affordable price.

To add to Bookbabe's comments - you'll need only about 15 minutes to see Hell.  More time is spent in the gift shop than looking at the cool rock formation as it is not very big.  If you do want something postmarked "Hell" from the post office, they only accept exact change and I'm not sure what the postage is, but I'm sure you can look it up online.

We originally had the Tortuga Rum Cake factory on our list, but ended up skipping it in favor of spending more time at other sites.  I don't think we missed anything.  If you want to buy rum cakes to bring back, they are sold absolutely everywhere.  We bought a six pack of small rum cakes (4 oz. each) for $32.00 (US) made by BlackBeard's (not Tortuga) at a store near the port called, I think, "Premium Souvenirs".  Tortuga's rum cakes are a bit more expensive.

Hopefully you find a good combo tour that works for you.  When do you go?

Cyndy

Firstin87

Cyndy, thanks for the information.  

We (4 of us) arrive at 11am on Wednesday February 12, 2020 and leave at 6pm. 

I think if we (all agree) to forgo the Turtle Farm we might be able to get off ship and take a bus/taxi/uber etc. to see the few other things we would like and be at Captain Marvin’s - right across from the tender dock - at 1:45pm for the Stingray Swim tour we want to do.   They say that tour is 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hours and even if a bit late we should still be able to make it by the last tender at 5:30pm. 

Any must do’s - beyond HELL, maybe old buildings, maybe 7 mile beach area, and/or rum cakes that you thought were also interesting. 

Thanks once again !!

On your way to Capt. Marvin's (who I think is a relative of Jackie's, by the way), you'll drive along Seven Mile Beach, probably past the Governor's House, and other unique buildings.  Some sites are just "drive by"s.

The tender ride from the ship is very quick.  If you've got priority tendering, you'll be on the island in just a few minutes.  Even if you're in line to tender, the ride is short and the crew keeps the people and tenders moving.

I suggest having an idea in advance what souvenirs you want to bring back to minimize your time shopping around.

NCL should be posting shore excursions for Feb. in about August, so be sure to check their site in case there is the perfect excursion for your group.  One perk to doing through the ship is that you are guaranteed to return on time.  Although, having just done two NCL sponsored shore excursions on our cruise (Jamaica and Cozumel; we had a lot of OBC and a shore ex credit), I discovered that they tend to depart at least an hour earlier than advertised on their site.  They both returned at the time noted on the website, so you got more time than advertised.  Just keep it in mind as you plan the few hours you have on Grand Cayman.

6 hours ago, Firstin87 said:

On your way to Capt. Marvin's (who I think is a relative of Jackie's, by the way), you'll drive along Seven Mile Beach, probably past the Governor's House, and other unique buildings.  Some sites are just "drive by"s.

The tender ride from the ship is very quick.  If you've got priority tendering, you'll be on the island in just a few minutes.  Even if you're in line to tender, the ride is short and the crew keeps the people and tenders moving.

I suggest having an idea in advance what souvenirs you want to bring back to minimize your time shopping around.

NCL should be posting shore excursions for Feb. in about August, so be sure to check their site in case there is the perfect excursion for your group.  One perk to doing through the ship is that you are guaranteed to return on time.  Although, having just done two NCL sponsored shore excursions on our cruise (Jamaica and Cozumel; we had a lot of OBC and a shore ex credit), I discovered that they tend to depart at least an hour earlier than advertised on their site.  They both returned at the time noted on the website, so you got more time than advertised.  Just keep it in mind as you plan the few hours you have on Grand Cayman.

Great information.  Thanks for the follow up with those suggestions.  I do think we are going to wait until the ship posts the excursions they offer and then try and decide what will work. 

Thanks once again.  

Excellent plan.  If NCL has an excursion that meets your needs and budget, it will make the planning a lot easier.  You're smart to research and plan so early.  With so much to do in so little time on Grand Cayman, it's not a port to "wing it".

Hope you have a great trip!  Be sure to post how it goes.

41 minutes ago, Firstin87 said:

Excellent plan.  If NCL has an excursion that meets your needs and budget, it will make the planning a lot easier.  You're smart to research and plan so early.  With so much to do in so little time on Grand Cayman, it's not a port to "wing it".

Hope you have a great trip!  Be sure to post how it goes.

......And this is just one port stop LOL !!!  Haven’t even looked at the others yet, as this seemed the most difficult due to timing. 

Once again - Thanks for the feedback !