Can we get to Miami airport on time?

doubleduty

We just got an email from the airlines that our retrun flight from Miami has been changed from 1pm to 10:30am.  What are the chances we can get off the ship and make it to the airport in time?  

Thanks.  

Edited by doubleduty

Doable? Yes, but with not a lot of wiggle room. We’ve been to both MIA and FLL with enough time to make a 10:30am flight several times but then there are times when we would’ve never made such an early flight. There are several factors that go into play and which you unfortunately won’t have much control over.

The earliest we’ve been off an MSC ship in Miami was 7:00am and we actually were able to standby for an 8:45am flight out of Ft Lauderdale, but everything lined up absolutely perfectly for that. Other times, we’ve been pushing it to get to the airport in time for anything earlier than 11:30am.

Our last MSC cruise was in the Med. We had booked an 11:30am flight back to the US (the only nonstop to our home airport). I spent the last 24 hours of the cruise anxious and snippy at my family wondering if we’d make it. To make things worse, MSC delayed our arrival by one hour for reasons that are still beyond my understanding. In addition, we were delayed further due to stormy weather. I was an absolute nervous wreck until we made it to our departure gate as they announced boarding. Do yourself a favor and book a later flight. You don’t want to waste a minute of your vacation worrying if you’re going to make your flight home. I learned my lesson. This was the only major hiccup in an otherwise wonderful vacation, and it was largely in part my responsibility for booking an early flight. 

Edited by Tapi

2 minutes ago, doubleduty said:

Thanks, Tapi.  Good advice.  Our flight now leaves Miami at 1:45 so we should be fine.  And, since my husabnd says I worry to much about evreything,  this is probably the best course of action.

Glad to read that! Have a wonderful cruise! 

1 hour ago, doubleduty said:

Thanks, Tapi.  Good advice.  Our flight now leaves Miami at 1:45 so we should be fine.  And, since my husabnd says I worry to much about evreything,  this is probably the best course of action.

I am a worrier too.  So, think you made the right choice.  You might have made your  early flight but stuff really does happen.  One cruise we were supposed to return to Long Beach but were diverted to San Pedro.  Everyone with flights before 2 were scrambling as the cruise line were bussing people to LB.  I am not even sure what happened with luggage. 

It was lucky for us we kept our luggage to walk off.  We called a friend who lived 6 blocks away and spent the day with her as our flight was the next day. We were very lucky to have dodged a bullet. Many were not. 

On this same topic, I’ve never missed a flight, (but I typically don’t ever give up as much control as you need to to board a cruise ship).  What happens if you miss a flight?  Are there big fees to rebook? I assume your original fare counts for something and isn’t a total loss.  I’m fortunate that there are several routes and flights between the port city and my home city. 

1 hour ago, FGJones said:

On this same topic, I’ve never missed a flight, (but I typically don’t ever give up as much control as you need to to board a cruise ship).  What happens if you miss a flight?  Are there big fees to rebook? I assume your original fare counts for something and isn’t a total loss.  I’m fortunate that there are several routes and flights between the port city and my home city. 

You need to check your airline's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to see how they handle missed and re-booked flights.

I think it is doable assuming all things align as commented above.

During our cruise in May 2018, we arrived in Miami before 6am. We were lining up for self-disembarkation at round 7am. The line up slowly moved but were outside of the terminal by 7:30am. We went to booth outside the terminal doors to purchase our shuttle bus ticket. The bus driver said it will be leaving soon after we boarded the bus around 7:35am. The bus waited almost 30 minutes before we left for MIA. There was also another bus going to FLL.

We arrived at MIA before 8:30am. The American Airlines passengers got off the bus first. Then the rest of the bus passengers got off in the next terminal stop. We got to our airport check-in counter around 9am to drop our check-in bags. Our flight was 12:30pm.

So, every has to align to make it work. But then again, why subject yourself to such stress if you can get a later flight.

Enjoy your trip.