PG to Australs

vaitape

Has anyone done this cruise? We think that 2005 marked the first cruise there for the PG. We're hoping to make the September 2006 sail and would appreciate hearing from those who went in last year. Also, any news about what the ship looks like since drydock and if they have indeed started to phase out the wonderful Philipino staff?

We took this cruise in Sept. '05. As I have reported elsewhere, it was very enjoyable, but was subject to some flaws -- many of which may have been due to the new itinerary. This was pre-dry dock (don't know exactly when that will be) but the ship was in good condition. This itinerary involves more actual cruising than the "floating hotel" standard seven day cruise. And faster cruising as well. This makes the vibration near the stern especially on deck 7 an issue. In dry dock, the lounge on deck 7 will be converted to cabins/ suites. I wouldn't recommend them for this reason. Basically, it's a neat itinerary to some very out-of-the way places. One island hadn't been visited by a cruise ship in ten years. And, the itinerary includes the usual islands as well.

Enjoy,

Richard

The PG isn't due to leave Brisbane where it is in dry dock until January 29 for its return trip with passengers to French Polynesia. We're on the first "Tahiti" cruise on February 15. I haven't heard anything about phasing out the Filipino crew. That would be strange since Radisson has been phasing out Eastern European crew and replacing them with Filipino staff on its other ships.

Yes, I know of no plans for Radisson to replace the Filipino service crew. But, I don't consider that a negative at all. We cruised Radisson when the ships had E. European crews, a mixture, and Filipino crews, and can see no difference in service level or ability to communicate. Our only recent criticism of service is a result of Radisson's switch from a two person room steward team to a single steward. However, it would be fine with us is they went back to the "team" and both members were Filipino.

Thanks,

Richard

We were Nov 2005 Marquesas cruise and also did the 7 day Society Islands cruise 2 years ago so we know our way around the PG fairly well. Guess I should have been more specific about my questions regarding the Cooks/Australs cruise last year and what to expect this year. I'm interested in any feedback from those who did any of the excursions in the Cooks or in Tubuai, if the weather was cooler down in the Australs, if the seas were any bumpier (I know, this varies according to Mother Nature and King Neptune but just in general........we understand about that vibration thingo at elevated speeds as we had a grand dining experience on the leg from Rangi to Omoa and were surprised when we walked from the aft section of Deck 7 to our more forward cabin when we were underway), who were the guest lecturers onboard last cruise, etc.

I did read at least some of your postings Dolebludger, not sure if all of them, regarding your cruise to the Cooks and Australs and thank you for the information.

Will be looking forward to hearing your report on the changes following drydock Dreps after your cruise in Feb.

I can answer this. Water was cooler in the Australs. Lots of diving on some islands, but not a lot else. The Tour desk manager loaned us some wet suits so we could snorkel. One shore excursion was befouled due to lack of communication, but again, ours was the first PG cruise there, and things should be smoother mext time.

Thanks,

Richard

Archived