Oceania cruiser needs to know the scoop on RCI

Oh no H

8 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Hello Petoonya,

I'm a long time RCL loyalist and love CL for many reasons, however I sailed Oceania for the first time last year and am booked again on O (Sirena)  Feb 1 next year... Go in with lesser expectations on Royal with regard to design, quality, style, comfort... and especially food and service.

I was absolutely blown away at the quality of food and service on Marina last year... RCL cannot compare whatsoever. I was so very ignorant on how good a co-called luxury line would be in comparison.

Food... I guess with 19 nights on board eating at Chops and Giovanni's all those nights would not be ideal. The Main Dining on O would be better than Specialty on RCL... Specialty Dining on RCL is equal to (sometimes) to the Terrace on O...

RCL's Main Dining room would not be tolerated on O.

Again, manage your expectations and you'll have a great sailing

Like the old adage... "you get what you pay for"

Oh no, Hoopster! I was hoping what your saying wouldn't be true! To me O is perfection- we can never find anything we don't like. I think you've made up my mind for me. My husband would freak if there was that much of a difference in the experience. He's got pretty simple tastes and dresses very "Oregon", but has gotten comfortable with the royal treatment. Yeah sailing Sirena was incredible for me too.

9 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Well as far as ship design, Radiance was the best of Royal's "traditional" design ships, before they started with the floating amusement park designs.

Clarea, we did an Alaska on Radiance the first summer she sailed and everything but the dining was very nice.

I sort of think my mind is made up. Hoopster pushed me over the wall. Thanks to everyone for your quick and thoughtful input. Happy cruising to all!

Edited by Petoonya

4 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Oh no H

Oh no, Hoopster! I was hoping what your saying wouldn't be true! To me O is perfection- we can never find anything we don't like. I think you've made up my mind for me. My husband would freak if there was that much of a difference in the experience. He's got pretty simple tastes and dresses very "Oregon", but has gotten comfortable with the royal treatment. Yeah sailing Sirena was incredible for me too.

I'm, not trying to deter you from sailing on RCL...

Just want to point out the gap with regard to many things on board that many cruisers deem important.

As long as you manage expectations (ie. "You get what you pay for"), you'll be just fine!

Remember, I do love RCL ... I'm doing my best to look at this from your perspective downgrading per se.

You say you're in a balcony.... here's an interesting post from the O forum I read last year when doing research of whether I wished to try O or not:

"It appears, as some have mentioned, that prices for standard inside/outside cabins on Oceania are about the same as suites we normally book on the mainstream lines. For me, all of the qualities that Oceania offers trump a luxury cabin on a mainstream line."

Edited by Hoopster95

3 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Clarea, we did an Alaska on Radiance the first summer she sailed and everything but the dining was very nice.

I sort of think my mind is made up. Hoopster pushed me over the wall. Thanks to everyone for your quick and thoughtful input. Happy cruising to all!

Serenade is same as Radiance... best ship for sure (and RCL's classiest) to compare to Marina or Riviera.

I had no problem sailing on Brilliance for 12 nights (same as Serenade) 3 months after Marina.

Edited by Hoopster95

Hoopster, I know I couldn't do it. Well I could do it and lower expectations but husband would be in shock. Especially for 19 days.

Our last big ship cruise was on Celebrity Silhouette and we did not like at all. Just always feeling out of place and missing O.

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

Like the old adage... "you get what you pay for"

Yeah, sat down with husband just a bit ago and we decided to dig down a little further in the savings to get what we want. Not that we wouldn't have a nice time on Serenade but it wouldn't be Sirena and we'd miss those guys too much. Thanks Hoop!